1st post,,,brake pads,2008 Grand Cherokee,Laredo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all, 1st post.Was at the Chrysler dealer getting my water pump replaced, under my lifetime powertrain warranty. I asked for a price for front brake pads,,,,$180.00, not including rotors. Terrible! Anyway 2008 Grand Cherokee, Laredo,3.7 is the vehicle, 94,637 miles. Original rotors and pads, rear was replaced 2 years ago. On Rock auto, wagner pads and rotors,$122.37, not including shipping,around $25.00. raybesto's pads and rotors $113.57 and power stops front kit for normal driving $107.79. My wife car,no towing. The wagner products I'm leaning toward, but any advice on this is appreciated. My rear was done by Midas, never again, hate the squealing at start up.

order the rotors on amazon to get it shipped free, the weight is inflating the shipping price on rockauto. Pads wherever you like, i personally like wagner thermoquiets

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 07titan
My rear was done by Midas, never again, hate the squealing at start up.

Thats funny!!

In all seriousness, WELCOME!!!!

I would consider the wagner severe duty , i have those on my olds. While they are not ff rated ( EF i think) They brake really well and really do last! I brake pretty hard and they are lasting very well on my ciera. Plus they are only about $25 for your jeep.

part number sx1181

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2152676&cc=1441545&jnid=444&jpid=60

Last edited:
thanks for the quick replys,,,,amazon, didn't think of them, Thank you.

I used the code "perkspot" on advance autos site and got two wearever rotors for $50 the other day. So far theyve been fine with no noise or pulsating. They were just as thick as the oem rotors that i pulled off as well.

Did RockAuto have any on clearance? Bought some front and rear Brembo pads for my brothers truck for $30 shipped. That truck stops now.. I tell you what!

For my Jeep, I am planning on getting some $50 Akebonos when the time comes.

*It is my understanding that rotor brands really don't matter? I have found that the best deal is to get them from Advance Auto Parts and use promo codes and pick up in store. Shipping for 4 rotors for me from RA was about $50 alone.

Last edited:
That $180 for front brake pads, did that include labor to install?

Well that may be right for dealer rate. $50 for parts, lube etc. Probably $110 per hour for labor. Probably 1 or 1.25 hour to replace pads and resurface the rotors.

If you did the job yourself you could have put two new rotors on the vehicle and new pads, and all new hardware, but dealer has to make money also.

I maintain four vehicles at home, and have changed a lot of brakes in the last couple of years. I put Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads on the front and rear of my stepson's car, along with the cheapest Centric rotors. They are a good combination. After shopping around I found that RockAuto had the best prices. I've also had good luck with EBC Greenstuff and Akebono Euro ceramic pads on my other vehicles. A good rule of thumb is that with ceramic pads you get less dust, more rotor wear, and the pads last longer. The softer pads like EBC Greenstuff give outstanding brake performance, more dust, shorter pad life, and longer rotor life.

Another suggestion that I have is to change (or rebuild) the calipers when doing the brakes if the vehicle is roughly seven years old or older. For most cars you can get A-1 Cardone rebuilt calipers on RockAuto for about $35/ea (after returning the cores). Otherwise you run the risk of a sticking caliper piston causing undue wear on your new brake setup in the near future. I've tried rebuilding calipers myself, but it was enough of a hassle that I prefer to just buy the rebuilt ones. It's pretty easy to return the cores to RockAuto because you can print shipping labels off the RA website for discounted FedEx shipping.

information been great, the $180.00 for pads, honest, I don't know, I just smiled and left, the rotors will need to be replaced, no turning. I have time, which I knew, they did a courteous check. My neighbor told me a federated warehouse, 5 minutes away, autoparts, they deal with all and the public, he said their prices are very, very good compared to all, I googled them but not much came up, other then they're a world wide distributer of auto parts. I will go to check the prices, I am leaning toward Wagners brake parts, also calipers rebuild, sounds good. With the lifetime warranty I do plan to keep the jeep for some time. knock on wood, the vehicle been good to us, all fluids changed and maintained. Thank you all for the info....

I had an 08. Stock looked to be akebono, which is a very good bad and hard to beat. Wagner Thermoquiet could could be a good one and very close. I had squealing issues galore with this SUV. The thing that cured it was not grease, pad shims, or squeal goo. The thing that fixed it was to take sand paper and thoroughly sand both sides of each rotor for a new mating surface. And then normal grease and some pad anti-squeal goo for extra measure.

Last couple of years I've taken to pulling apart my disc brakes 2x per year and knocking off all the rust, greasing sliding points, making sure all is good. Only time in twenty years that I've had squealing brakes was when I put grease on the back side of the pad! Squeaked until the grease washed off. lesson learned: grease only the sliding parts. Not pad backing.

Maybe I have the wrong grease--I know Sil-glide is the go-to stuff here, but for some dumb reason I bought Sta-Lube (or something like that).

The pads I just bought for my Tundra came with a little packet of something with moly in it, and I'm undecided if I'll use it or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back