Which USA Sold Cars Have Swivel Headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: linksep
I am looking precisely because I often drive at night on very windy roads in moderate to heavily wooded areas with tons of wildlife dozens of miles from the nearest streetlight. I have driven my Dad's BMW with adaptive headlights in those types of areas and frankly driving a vehicle with standard lights is almost crazy in comparison.

Can you not just use high beams 99% of the time though in that situation? I can't say I've found myself wishing for anything better than that, but I guess some cars have worse lighting patterns than others. I think the trend of having a clear lens on a headlight hasn't helped anything either.

Beginning in 2010, the Buick Lacrosse CXS (top of the line Lacrosse) included swiveling headlights. Not sure but I think they're also available on certain other Buicks like Regal, Encore, etc. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I am looking precisely because I often drive at night on very windy roads in moderate to heavily wooded areas with tons of wildlife dozens of miles from the nearest streetlight. I have driven my Dad's BMW with adaptive headlights in those types of areas and frankly driving a vehicle with standard lights is almost crazy in comparison.

Can you not just use high beams 99% of the time though in that situation? I can't say I've found myself wishing for anything better than that, but I guess some cars have worse lighting patterns than others. I think the trend of having a clear lens on a headlight hasn't helped anything either.

My car was cursed with really bad headlights (2nd only to a 4th generation Camaro for [censored] headlights). High-beams are approximately what I believe low-beams should be, and I have verified their aim as true.

You know how those orange/yellow signs give a suggested speed through an obstacle... usually those signs are for semi-trucks after an ice storm (a normal full-sized SUV can navigate the obstacle 15 to 20 MPH above the yellow sign speed suggestion without even alerting grandma that you are turning... well some of the areas I drive in have a lot of 15 MPH signs and they really mean 15 MPH if you have a 2016 Ferrari and it's mid-day with clean dry roads, normal cars 10 MPH, semi-trucks 5 MPH... after an ice storm just stay home. Basically it could be an SCCA solo course but it's actual roads.

Do you have any specifics like when the option became available and on which Mazdas? Thanks.

The Mazda6(2008-2012) had MANUAL "adaptive" headlights...only on the HID model, had a rocker swtich you could use to raise or lower... most kept it on the highest setting to "see better" lol.

Adaptive headlight should be mandatory on all trucks that tow/get lifted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Do you have any specifics like when the option became available and on which Mazdas? Thanks.

The Mazda6(2008-2012) had MANUAL "adaptive" headlights...only on the HID model, had a rocker swtich you could use to raise or lower... most kept it on the highest setting to "see better" lol.

Adaptive headlight should be mandatory on all trucks that tow/get lifted.

That sound sounds only like a manual headlight leveler, not adaptive lighting. Adaptive lighting means lights that turn and swivel and possibly lights that come on only under certain conditons and that can alter their intensity. Manual headlight levelers became common in Europe in the 1990s and HID lights have in many countries always required automatic headlight leveling systems to prevent blinding oncoming traffic when loaded or when going over bumps.

Mazda CX-3 comes with adaptive headlight standard in the top trim level. Across the rest of the model range adaptive headlights are available only in upper rier trim levels and as a party of a costly options package.

The Jeep Renegade Trailhwak has "cornering fog lights." With the headlights on and the foglights off, when you turn on the blinker or when you turn the steering wheel far enough, at low speeds, one foglight will come on and light up where you are going. Some VW's have that feature, too.

I have adaptive Xenons on the 330Ci BMW but I have them at non-swivel mode 90% of the time. If I am driving on dark, twisty roads, I use adaptive mode, which does help quite a bit.
(also useful at unfamiliar, unlit intersections with sharp left/right turns or when making a U turn at an unfamiliar dark spot)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I have adaptive Xenons on the 330Ci BMW but I have them at non-swivel mode 90% of the time. If I am driving on dark, twisty roads, I use adaptive mode, which does help quite a bit.

Do they actually swivel side-to-side, or is it just another light bulb that comes on when you turn?

I am having a heck of a time finding a list of cars sold in the USA in the last 15 years that have headlights that turn to better illuminate corners.

I know the idea is almost as old as the headlight itself, and I know that SOME cars sold in the USA have had the option for years but I can't find WHICH cars!

Google returns about 100 billion copies of the same "Stupid antiquated US laws against 'adaptive' headlights" repost. Yeah, I get it, we have stupid laws that make the best Mercedes and Audi headlights available elsewhere in the world unavailable here... I want to know if there are any used cars in my price range (cheap) that may have that option, can't afford a new European luxury vehicle.

I think VW/Audi, BMW, and some GM vehicles have or have had the option in the past, probably more.

Hey, I hope y'all are still alive on this board.

Linksep, swiveling headlight (singular) came about in '46.

It was the Tucker 48.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_48

I know this is a prototype, only 51 were made.

I wonder what other cars had that feature...

G'day y'all.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back