Being a parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have to admit, I admire people who CHOOSE not to have kids for intelligent reasons. I really do.

I don not appreciate the others who have dogs and talk about them like they are kids. NO they are DOGS. I don't care if they are "like" kids to you... that's fine. But they are NOT humans and I really don't want to see you cry and have to ask you why and you say, "because Mr. Spanky has a sore hip".

I've got real things to worry about. Such as why a guy who gets drunk and crashes his motorcycle gets a lifetime of free heat and rent while a hard working factory worker of 40 years has a heart attack due to ..well, just AGE... and get's canned without insurance and gets hassled by medicare for even the catheters he may need.

Or why my friend's DOG gets more money in food and dental care than students in the elementary school in my neighborhood.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I do have to admit, I admire people who CHOOSE not to have kids for intelligent reasons. I really do.

I don not appreciate the others who have dogs and talk about them like they are kids. NO they are DOGS. I don't care if they are "like" kids to you... that's fine. But they are NOT humans and I really don't want to see you cry and have to ask you why and you say, "because Mr. Spanky has a sore hip".

I've got real things to worry about.

I agree, but I try not to belittle their feelings. Afterall they have to endure the bragging or complaining some parents do about their kids.

I've got real things to worry about. Such as why a guy who gets drunk and crashes his motorcycle gets a lifetime of free heat and rent while a hard working factory worker of 40 years has a heart attack due to ..well, just AGE... and get's canned without insurance and gets hassled by medicare for even the catheters he may need.

Or why my friend's DOG gets more money in food and dental care than students in the elementary school in my neighborhood.

No need to get so worked up man...relax.

I love dogs...I cherish them. I know they aren't human...but that doesn't make them less valuable to me. Why attack dog lovers? How a person chooses to treat a dog may not coincide with your beliefs...no need to get so worked up. Just look the other way.

As for kids not getting the proper care they need? Blame the parents.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I've got real things to worry about.

I agree, but I try not to belittle their feelings. Afterall they have to endure the bragging or complaining some parents do about their kids.

This is true...while I think people that dote on dogs to an excess are little weird, I also get very tired of the inevitable "look at my kids" photos and such. In my opinion, kids are very spoiled today and have the manners of...well....a dog.

It's is the parents fault.

I do appreciate nicely mannered kids though. They are a joy to be around.

Time just rockets by; my son is now a junior at South Carolina. Overall he has been a very good kid- who still takes time to message his old Dad about movies/TV shows/BDs we need to watch, as well as political commentary he likes(we share the same political views) and car discussions. As a matter of fact, he just sent me a text as I was typing.
I guess what I want to say is: Parenthood is a journey that goes by all too fast. Enjoy every step on the way.

My wife and I have two. We waited until we were in our 30's to have our first. The oldest is 10 the youngest is 7. We adopted the youngest out of foster care. She has been a bit of a challenge as she is a bit delayed and we get some weird questions because to be frank we are different races and it is pretty obvious.
Definitely some interesting folks out there who ask some ridiculous questions. I usually have a ridiclous answer. She came to live with us when she was 1 and a half.
It is a challenge raising kids at times, however, it is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Really does not cost as much as I thought it would. We do put a bunch away for college and the toys can get pricey. So I will have to wait for my new Camaro, but it is well worth it...at least I have the Trans Am.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
We adopted the youngest out of foster care.

You have my respect. Good for you.

Thanks. It was quite the journey. She still sees mom once in awhile, but she is very sick with MS and really does not know we are there. The home she is in sucks. We send money so she can buy some things and get here hair done. She sees her 22 year old sister as often as we can. Sis says mom was never any good to either of them. I can't say but the file from CPS was pretty big. Sad either way. Dad signed away rights when he went to prison.
1236018_10201374001225320_832021417_n.jpg

See if you can guess which one I am... Ha!

Originally Posted By: Al
We adopted the youngest out of foster care.

You have my respect. Good for you.

Thanks. It was quite the journey. She still sees mom once in awhile, but she is very sick with MS and really does not know we are there. The home she is in sucks. We send money so she can buy some things and get here hair done. She sees her 22 year old sister as often as we can. Sis says mom was never any good to either of them. I can't say but the file from CPS was pretty big. Sad either way. Dad signed away rights when he went to prison.
1236018_10201374001225320_832021417_n.jpg

See if you can guess which one I am... Ha!

Nice looking family...and the smiles are wonderful!
Good for you guys!

No kids for me. I have struggled with depression my whole life. I've never been happy. The best it gets is a vague sense of "not unhappy", and that only with mediation. Without medication, I'd have blown my brains out years ago.

Depression is hereditary, so kids are out of the question.

Besides, while I think I might enjoy kids, I definitely wouldn't enjoy having a wife.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
No kids for me. I have struggled with depression my whole life. I've never been happy. The best it gets is a vague sense of "not unhappy", and that only with mediation. Without medication, I'd have blown my brains out years ago.

Depression is hereditary, so kids are out of the question.

Besides, while I think I might enjoy kids, I definitely wouldn't enjoy having a wife.
Kids are great the wife part I'll agree with you on. I have mild depression ans sometimes it gets a bit worst . I tried the meds and didn't like them. I'll drink coffee . Alcohol really depresses me and pot makes me feel stupider than I already feel. I was prescribed amphetamine salts it is the stuff they give to hyperactive kids to dumb them down. When I felt good and took them it was fun. When I felt like poop ad took them I felt like worst poop. Drugs and I don't get along well.

Originally Posted By: CT8
When I felt like poop ad took them I felt like worst poop. Drugs and I don't get along well.

Celexa for me works great (30 mg)

I've always remembered what a co-worker said many years ago as we were talking about kids. He said, 'My wife and I were rather lazy and indifferent parents as I look back and yet the kids turned out great with hardly a bit of trouble. I've got a close buddy, a prince of a guy and has a super wife and a couple of their kids were a constant problem. I think parents take too much credit and get too much blame for how their kids turn out'. I'm not sure I totally agree with that, but it is thought provoking.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I've always remembered what a co-worker said many years ago as we were talking about kids. He said, 'My wife and I were rather lazy and indifferent parents as I look back and yet the kids turned out great with hardly a bit of trouble. I've got a close buddy, a prince of a guy and has a super wife and a couple of their kids were a constant problem. I think parents take too much credit and get too much blame for how their kids turn out'. I'm not sure I totally agree with that, but it is thought provoking.

That is interesting. Though I realize some things in life are indeed a case-by-case basis, such as how children will turn out.

I am probably 2 to 3 weeks away from my first child. It will be my wife's first as well. We are older people in our mid- to late-30s who waited until we were financially-secure and in the right house before we made a family. Thus, threads like this are priceless to me.

My parents were child psychologists and raised my brother and I in what may be a controversial way. They were very "laissez-faire" and kept us in line with a very simple threat, since we were old enough to comprehend: do something wrong and we will do nothing to get you out of trouble, plus we will tell your family so you will be ashamed to see them. That's all it took to keep us from ever getting into any kind of trouble, the fear of letting our parents and relatives down. I kept so far away from trouble that I never even knew anyone who did drugs, drank under age 21, or so much as stole a piece of candy. I was raised to stay far away from those types. Heck, in high school you could have put a gun to my head and asked me to get you a can of beer or a cigarette, and I would have said that you would shoot me because I simply did not associate with anyone who did any of those things.

Go ahead and say that I was a nerd or a dork or whatever word you may use...but you would be dead wrong. I was a very successful punk/hardcore musician who toured nonstop in my spare time from age 15, and my parents were behind it 100%. And I looked the part, which amuses me today. At age 14 I was sponsored as an amateur skateboarder for one of the world's largest skate companies and skated at "demos" all around the country, made my own money and got free things. I dressed like I wished since I was old enough to choose clothes, I drove what I wanted where I wanted, and always had plenty of "toys" (yes I was a proverbial spoiled rich kid) whether they be cars, motorcycles, dirt bikes, etc. I had bands play shows in my parents' garage and basement, where dozens of people would attend, huge pool parties and barbeques, and more, all with my parents' enthusiastic approval and support.

And my wonderful parents supported my life completely, knowing that my mind was kept on the straight and narrow, by their simple disciplinary threat to leave me on my own and shame me if I did anything wrong.

Now, as an adult and soon-to-be parent, I wonder if my parents' philosophy was sound (they still stand by it to this day), or if there is a better way to keep children well-behaved.

My wife and I have been empty nesters for a couple years. Both of our daughters have their own lives now and I gotta say, I didn't anticipate the hole from them being on their own has left in our lives. Sure, we still spend as much time with them as we can, but considering how busy everyone is with their work schedules and whatnot, that isn't as much time as we'd like. Plus the girls don't look at us the same as they used to. When they were growing up and still living at home, they looked up to mom and dad. They needed us. When dad got home from work, my girls always came a runnin to give me hugs. Now their boyfriends (soon to be husbands in both cases) are the ones they need.

I know this is the natural order of things, and we can't keep our kids little forever, but I guess I thought I would be ready for them to move on when the time came. I wasn't, and now that I've been through this, I don't know if that's something I would ever be prepared for...yes, I need some grandkids...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back