New Mazda CX9 with 2.5 Turbo Skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Just guessing, but I imagine most MS3's weren't treated like just another car when it came to maintenance. I'm sure a lot of CX7's ended up with ignored check engine lights, regular gas, bulk 5W30, and all sort of flushes, additives, and nonsense at the iffy lube...

Well, they seem to believe 87 octane is still fine (as per Mazda link referenced in this thread). Conventional oil might still be acceptable too. If so, the OCI would seem to be the most likely culprit. We'll have to wait and see.

Why are we comparing the Skyactiv G 2.5L Turbo to the Ford's Ecoboost 2.5 turbos? Aren't these Skyavtive engines completely of Mazda design?
(Mazda separated itself 100% from Ford since 2013, and Skyactive engines have nothing to do with Ecoboost from Ford, right?)

(pls correct me if I misunderstood something)

I don't think an implication that they were exactly the same was being made. It has more to do with them being low displacement, 4cyl, GDITurbos in an SUV.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Interesting motor choice. I wonder how it works in the real world.

The 6 cylinder models in this arena offer quite decent MPG with far less complication.

As a former CX9 owner, I can assure you the V6 does not offer decent fuel economy, no matter how gently it's driven. I agree it'll be interesting to see how the new engine does in the real world.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Well, hopefully mazda learned something. The 4 cyl ecoboosts are actually wound up even tighter with 120hp/L in the Escape and so far they are fine.

I wonder what it was about the CX7 that caused the turbo motor failures? The Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazdaspeed 6 used the same engine, and 99.9% of the failures I've seen have been due to aggressive tuning and modifications. My MS3 has over 157k miles on the clock and aside from two TSB/warranty repairs(smoking turbo at 27k miles, noisy VVT actuator at 47k miles) and a thermostat the motor hasn't been touched.

From what I read (and I do not know if this is accurate or not) the CX-7 was supposedly set up with a slightly smaller turbo, or a smaller turbo inlet, I don't remember which, to make it spool quicker at lower RPM's than the MS3. Lots of boost, high torque at low RPM's, heavy vehicle... kaboom. Lots of VVT actuator and chain issues too.

With someone standing beside it to give a little size perspective, the vehicle is HUGE, and that grill is way big, like a big open catfish mouth. The hood seems abnormally high, wonder how that affects visibility. It's an interesting model with great specs, but overall I don't care for its looks, unlike most other Mazda's which look great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlayman
The hood seems abnormally high, wonder how that affects visibility.

I recently rented a vehicle which probably has one of the highest hoods relative to the driving position -- an Infinity QX70.

infiniti-qx70-4_1600x0w.jpg

You sit low in the car, and the hood seems to stretch out forever. The fenders bulge up over the wheel wells, and the hood "humps" in the middle. It has a very organic shape, and certainly took some getting used to. It was tough in parking lots, only because I wasn't used to the car. It was hard to judge just how far out there that hood really was.

Unfortunately (for me), it looks like the driver sits low in this new Mazda, so it may offer a similar perspective out the front windshield. That seems to be a trend today that really turns me off. That new Buick Lacrosse looks fabulous to me, but look at the passengers in the car -- the window sill is at their SHOULDER level!

If I end up in a full size truck one day, it'll be because they've "styled" me out of everything else -- trucks still offer a proper seating/driving position relative to the rest of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: dlayman
The hood seems abnormally high, wonder how that affects visibility.

I recently rented a vehicle which probably has one of the highest hoods relative to the driving position -- an Infinity QX70.

infiniti-qx70-4_1600x0w.jpg

You sit low in the car, and the hood seems to stretch out forever. The fenders bulge up over the wheel wells, and the hood "humps" in the middle. It has a very organic shape, and certainly took some getting used to. It was tough in parking lots, only because I wasn't used to the car. It was hard to judge just how far out there that hood really was.

Unfortunately (for me), it looks like the driver sits low in this new Mazda, so it may offer a similar perspective out the front windshield. That seems to be a trend today that really turns me off. That new Buick Lacrosse looks fabulous to me, but look at the passengers in the car -- the window sill is at their SHOULDER level!

If I end up in a full size truck one day, it'll be because they've "styled" me out of everything else -- trucks still offer a proper seating/driving position relative to the rest of the vehicle.

I've always liked these, and I don't like the SUVs too much. I surmise most other people think of these as a lifted sport sedan.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
For all of you people complaining that you can't put your arms out the cars comfortably due to high sills on cars today:

Please-keep-your-legs-and-arms-inside-the-car-150x150.jpg

Maybe that's the problem -- too many safety nannies working in the styling departments today.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back