Fuel filter @300k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChrisFix makes great comparison videos.

Got to give Ford credit for making some tough fuel filters.

only applicable to return type (continuous) fuel pump system.

Returnless fuel pressurisation system only comes with a nylon mesh (sock), and will never get this dirty.

Q.

Isn't the flow-test backwards (ie the reverse of the normal flow direction)?

Last edited:
He does rave on doing nothing. That black stuff in the first filter he cut open is carbon from the pump brushes. If he cuts open his fuel pump he'll find his brushes worn.

The filter video is false and misleading. When he empties the filter, gas runs out clean (as it should) from the exit side of the filter. Then there is a break in the video where he has put dirty fuel from the input end of the filter into the cup to mislead and make people think dirty fuel is getting by the old filter and going into the engine.

The filter will plug up before it lets dirty fuel flow out. The fact that he has gone 300K on this filter proves it has done no harm.

BTW, he keeps saying how well he looks after the mini van, but lets the gas filter go 300K???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The filter video is false and misleading. When he empties the filter, gas runs out clean (as it should) from the exit side of the filter. Then there is a break in the video where he has put dirty fuel from the input end of the filter into the cup to mislead and make people think dirty fuel is getting by the old filter and going into the engine.

The filter will plug up before it lets dirty fuel flow out. The fact that he has gone 300K on this filter proves it has done no harm.

BTW, he keeps saying how well he looks after the mini van, but lets the gas fil
ter go 300K???

No, IMO Id say he just shook the filter to dislodge the dirt from its Media. We sholdnt default wrong doing from the cut filming and back.

I am not really a fan of Mr. Fix, and yes, I would say the old 3.8 Fords needed HG done at every 85k miles. POS.

However, this video is not bad if it encourages viewers to change the fuel filter every 80k-100k miles IF they are planning to keep their car for as long as possible. If you critique for his method, you've lost the message.

I thought fuel filters were darn near lifetime now? If not on the service schedule (like on my old Jetta TDi), that is.

Fuel filter is usually after the fuel pump, right? So it shouldn't impact pump life, not unless if the regulator is after the filter.

?

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

BTW, he keeps saying how well he looks after the mini van, but lets the gas fil
ter go 300K???

No, IMO Id say he just shook the filter to dislodge the dirt from its Media. We sholdnt default wrong doing from the cut filming and back.

Shaking the filter will not force dirt through the paper and out the exit end of the filter...BTW Ford recommends 20K mile filter changes on that model and year

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I am not really a fan of Mr. Fix, and yes, I would say the old 3.8 Fords needed HG done at every 85k miles. POS.

However, this video is not bad if it encourages viewers to change the fuel filter every 80k-100k miles IF they are planning to keep their car for as long as possible. If you critique for his method, you've lost the message.

Pretty much agree there. If it gets people to change it, then at least he did something right.

I find most of these backyard youtube yahoos are never going to be right 100 percent right anyway, so a little car knowledge goes a long way.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back