Are K&N drop ins still bad at filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Subaru, the airbox is on the right side of the vehicle. It gets dirty pretty sooner than the other vehicles that has the airbox on the drivers side. The culprit is the side road dirt, that some trucks raise it up. Scooby K&N needs cleaning each 30k miles, while C5 needs at 50k.

Last edited:
Lets see, I have 85k miles on my stock air filter now and the R/G is still not up to 11" H2o. I drive my S2000 all over the 11 western states, lot of dust down south. All the back roads its been on and I think I'll get close to 100k miles out of the stock air filter.

When I do change it out I'll modify the air box to except a longer air filter, so I should get more miles out of it before I need to change that one out. I just don't think that the K&N is worth it for me.

ROD

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
I'd wager no more than 3 if you had used a restriction gauge.

So the K&N is working out cheaper then.

I have worked on anything from sprayers through Semi trucks and some backhoes and excavators and I have never seen a K@N filter on any of them.

Imagine that the commercial sector, where cost saving are analyzed more than any passenger car user, has not flooded to K&N for the massive savings.

And yes, K&N does have filters for a great deal of commercial applications.

Off road, earth movers etc. are often in very dusty environments, where the lower efficiency of oiled gauze is unacceptable, even if they were "free".

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
I'd wager no more than 3 if you had used a restriction gauge.

So the K&N is working out cheaper then.

Given that you paid a lot more money for the K&N than most aftermarket filters, and bought filtercharger kit, no.

No, the one in my R65 was cheaper than genuine, the ones in 3 other bikes are to replace no longer available filters, the couple in cars were carb swaps where the OE filter wouldn't fit....the Green filter in the Pajero I had was certainly more expensive than paper. I never clean them, so the cleaner/oil kit has hardly been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back