coolant on serpentine belt, replace or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all, 2nd post. Back on January 8, 2015, I had some service work done on my 08 Grand Cherokee, at that time I also had the serpentine belt replaced. Recently, My water pump developed a ,,tiny leak. So small I added about a 1/2 pint of coolant, since 1/08/15, never could locate till 2 weeks ago. Today Chrysler dealer replaced the pump under the lifetime warranty I have. He wanted to replace the belt at $145.00,,,I said NO, it's new,check your records or do you want to see the old receipt. Anyway he said there was fluid on the belt, there was none, I know. As new as the belt was, should it be replaced?? On the service work receipt, it said the serpentine belt was soaked, not true. why do they do this?? Doesn't the dealership get reimbursed thru Chrysler?

I figure the belt would be fine. $145.00 and looking at the receipt, back in January they only charged me $45.00, same dealership..

Lifetime warranty?

Chrysler doesn't offer that. If it's a dealer offer for the powertrain(most likely), wear items like the belt are excluded.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Spray the belt down with brake clean; it'll be fine.

Not even that; just a thorough rinse with water will clean it off.

I just went through this. My water pump sprung a leak about 2 blocks from a mechanic I use from time to time. It was a bad leak and I didn't want to chance the ride home, so I dropped it off and let him replace the water pump. The belt was making all kinds of noises and had less than 100 miles on it. I took it back and he reversed the belt, that worked long enough for me to get home. I took the belt off and cleaned it, reinstalled it and its fine now.

My suggestion would be to remove and thoroughly clean the belt, if that doesn't work, apply a blob of dielectric grease on both sides of the belt. I've had long lasting results doing that with noisy belts over the years.

I bet they want to charge you the labor to change the belt on top of the labor to change the water pump, which of course includes R&R-ing the belt.

I'd have them put the old belt on out of spite, after this attempted stunt. If it chirps, go back.

If it were the $30 the belt actually cost I'd probably go for it.

Just replace the belt yourself. Get on on Amazon or Rock Auto. I just ordered one on amazon for my Avalon. I replace them at 65-75K anyway. Then stow the old one in the spare tire well.

I'll be doing my belt replacement for the first time next week.

FWIW, Amazon was $18 cheaper than the dealer for a Toyota belt.

Last edited:
If the belt is in good shape, I'd just clean it and give it a try. If it squeals or anything, replace it. If it doesn't, then it's fine.

I understand my lifetime power train warranty, I understand the belt is not covered, I do have a copy of my warranty from 2008. It explains all, whats covered. Water pump was on it, they replaced ...free. no charge. Their mechanic said the belt was trenched in coolant, it was not,, the leak was so tiny, most of the time you got whiffs. it started to show at the seal, darkening, very little if any coolant loss. but it was a leak. Serpentine belt is not covered, I know, thats why they wanted to charged $145.00, it was done in January 2015 for $45.00, when they did a coolant flush, transmission fluid and filter change and spark plug replacement. I get certain things done by Chrysler, just for piece of mind, cause of my lifetime powertrain warranty. Also the service manager I deal with no longer is there, he was a decent fellow, this new guy talks with a smile on his face, I don't like.......also the warranty calls for 5 year inspection, if not done,void. non transferrable warranty. It's a decent warranty after all runs out, it was free.

No squeals, ran my hand around, before wife took it to work, dry and looking still, brand new. shaking my head right now, trenched in coolant............

Originally Posted By: LotI
Lifetime warranty?

Chrysler doesn't offer that. If it's a dealer offer for the powertrain(most likely), wear items like the belt are excluded.
yes they did,I think from 2006 to 2009. Of course not now.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Spray the belt down with brake clean; it'll be fine.

Brake clean? Wouldn't that dry out the belt too much and perhaps lead to premature cracking? Forgive me if I'm wrong, as this approach could be counterintuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back