Castrol Edge Syntec 5W50??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discounted grocery store acouple miles from my house always has something different going on wheather its great deals on vitamins or shampoo or today was this oil in topic. I picked up 15quarts for 2 bucks a pop plus 6% sales tax. Came out to $31.80 out the door. I never heard of this oil before though. Says on the bottle that its for classic cars with higer levels of Zinc. Its rated SN on the bottle, couple guys I work with have some older muscle cars that im thinking of selling it off to them if there intrested. If it wasnt for BITOG and the addiction it creates -- I NEVER would have even bothered looking twice at this oil on the shelf let alone buying it!!
shocked.gif

I've used it a few times and it was honestly the smoothest oil I've ever used. The present formula,not as much. I prefer the older Syntec formula over the current titanium formula. From looking at VOA/UOA,the older Syntec formula had moly and lots of zinc,whereas the titanium formula does not (the 5W50 weight).

I've used it before and its an excellent oil if you have an application for it. The higher amount of zinc is useful in older engines with flat tappet cams; the amount of zinc is comparable to what you'd expect in a diesel oil.

The 5w-50 Syntec is my favorite to use in summer in my Land Rover, as the V8 engine is an old pushrod design from the 1960's; the thicker viscosities seem to run smoother & quieter. In the winter, I go down to a 5w-40, however.

Great find at that price!

Great oil! I've used it in my 1997 V6 Toyota 4Runner, while in Florida during the summer, and it ran great with no problems. The heat of summer and high speed highway miles might have sheered the oil down a bit but it ran like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back