Amsoil's 25,000 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone is driving 25,000 miles in one year...they are mostly highway miles, and that is very easy on engine lubricants. This is why Amsoil has the "1 year" or XX,XXX miles...."whichever occur first". They know that different driving habits will affect the TBN content of their lubricant differently.

I always go by the 15,000 miles or 1 year interval (severe service). This is more practical for MOST drivers. Every UOA pulled from a car that has gone 12-13 months with Amsoil Signature Series lubricants still have TBN around 2.5-3.5, and could have been used for more miles. I follow the one year rule anyway.

Amsoil is a great way to save money.

And the fine print in Amsoil's own literature speaks volumes. If a vehicle is doing anything outside of lengthy hard road running, the 25K claim by Amsoil goes out the door. Anything classed as severe service by the OEM chops the 25K to 15K. Not using the Amsoil Ea oil filter.. same thing. If one is using higher than E10 ethanol blends, they chop the 25K claim to OEM drain intervals. Short tripping, driving down gravel roads now and then, and just about anything outside of basic, fully warmed up, normal daily driving negates the 25K backing of Amsoil.

Reminds me of pharmacy ads on TV. Their magic pill with cure your ills, but the side effects will probably be worse and get you.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And the fine print in Amsoil's own literature speaks volumes. If a vehicle is doing anything outside of lengthy hard road running, the 25K claim by Amsoil goes out the door. Anything classed as severe service by the OEM chops the 25K to 15K. Not using the Amsoil Ea oil filter.. same thing. If one is using higher than E10 ethanol blends, they chop the 25K claim to OEM drain intervals. Short tripping, driving down gravel roads now and then, and just about anything outside of basic, fully warmed up, normal daily driving negates the 25K backing of Amsoil.

Reminds me of pharmacy ads on TV. Their magic pill with cure your ills, but the side effects will probably be worse and get you.

I agree,even if this is an old thread.
wink.gif

I've used Amsoil in the past,and there's no way I'd push it 25,000 miles,regardless of their claims.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
If someone is driving 25,000 miles in one year...they are mostly highway miles, and that is very easy on engine lubricants. This is why Amsoil has the "1 year" or XX,XXX miles...."whichever occur first". They know that different driving habits will affect the TBN content of their lubricant differently.

I always go by the 15,000 miles or 1 year interval (severe service). This is more practical for MOST drivers. Every UOA pulled from a car that has gone 12-13 months with Amsoil Signature Series lubricants still have TBN around 2.5-3.5, and could have been used for more miles. I follow the one year rule anyway.

Amsoil is a great way to save money.

Following what you wrote above, M1 EP (especially purchased at Walmart) is an even better way.

All of which would get you what over changing the oil every 10,000 to 15,000 miles with M1 EP? Would I save money with the bypass filter? Would I get increased longevity out of my engines?

I miss Gary Allen's well reasoned, friendly, educated and helpful posts. RIP (again/still) sir.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
All of which would get you what over changing the oil every 10,000 to 15,000 miles with M1 EP?

If M1 EP would make it to 15k (and there are cases where it would, and cases where it would not) by UOA, and you prefer it over Amsoil, then by all means use it.

Would I save money with the bypass filter? Would I get increased longevity out of my engines?

Maybe and maybe.

It would take quite awhile to make up the $$ involved for a bypass setup if you weren't on the road all the time, but it has been shown to reduce wear and extend oil life. I couldn't find the thread but there's a guy doing 40k OCIs with a bypass setup. (arguably he does have to add a quart every 5k).

Longevity? -Insert discussion that not many people keep vehicles beyond 200k here- but with all the reports of Amsoil-run engines being "spotless" inside after 100s of thousands of miles, then I would say yes, with the caveat that you can probably get the same wear out of it with another oil if changed at proper intervals. I can speak to one of my own vehicles, the 04 Wrangler, which had a new head gasket at 169k miles. Insides were spotless after using Amsoil SS for up to 12000 mile intervals; I wish I'd taken photographs. Perhaps when we retire the vehicle I'll consider a teardown to take measurements on the internals.

Of course as always, YMMV and going blindly to any extended interval without a UOA is a fool's errand.

Last edited:
All of which would get you what over changing the oil every 10,000 to 15,000 miles with M1 EP? Would I save money with the bypass filter? Would I get increased longevity out of my engines?

Well, it could be a worthwhile experiment, and it could be made to have value under certain limited circumstances. Amsoil stuff isn't terribly expensive when observed on retail shelves here, at least in comparison to the competition and at regular prices. Now, if it's M1 EP at $25 or less a jug, then we have a problem.

Sure become an Amsoil dealer and find out. Actually I doubt the engines life would be much if any more and would you save money? Not with 5 or 6 quart sump. But then you could have fun driving around thinking how well filtered the oil may be. You would have to drive commercially to maybe see any pay back .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back