1000 miles in the new Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Really like this car. If you look on line reviews are all over the place. I will tell you what I think.

So let me start with what I don't like. I don't like the rear end. I think it looks weird. The wife likes it. GM says it is supposed be like the Camaro. Ok. The manual shift button is on the shifter knob. I never use it but for someone who does it would be in an odd spot. As with all current autos I don't like how the shifting is programed but it is not horrible. Just not what I like. The biggest complaint everyone has is the small backseat. It is small if you are bigger than 6 feet tall. For my family and the kids it works fine.

Rest of the car looks good to me. Not a fan of rims larger than 17 or 18 inches but the 19s really set this off from the ECO cars. The 2.0 liter Turbo is nice. Comes on smooth with no lag. We are averaging right around 28 mpg right now.
Some complain about the interior others don't. I don't really have any complaints except I think the head rest is bent too far forward. Most of the inside is soft touch and the leather is nice. All the colors match. Stitching is nice. I generally like hard plastic as it is easy to maintain, not much of it in this car.
Overall I find it to be comfortable.
I can't say enough about that brakes. They are awesome. In fact most reviews say the same thing. This car stops well.
Handles pretty good. I will say this, out of all the cars I have driven with ESP (electric power steering) it seems the most dialed into me and feels pretty close to my WS6 or Grand Prix with a traditional hydraulic rack.
My favorite two thing are the color and it is one of the quietest cars I have owned or been in.
Well there you have it in a nut shell. Here are the photos.
IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

I actually like the back end on those, especially with the LED taillights. Every review pans the backseat room, but I rode in the back of a 2013 from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back, and I didn't think it was bad at all. All four of us were comfortable!

It does look great in that color with those rims.

I agree, that is one sharp car. I know the new one is coming soon but at least from the pictures I've seen, i like this lines of this one more.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I actually like the back end on those, especially with the LED taillights.

Same here. The wheels make it look great too! The red "Turbo" badge looks sweet too!

I have a 15 malibu 1LT the same color with the 2.5 motor. It's an amazing car. I have 16 inch wheels with continental tires and they ride very good. I've got 3.4k on her now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I have a 15 malibu 1LT the same color with the 2.5 motor. It's an amazing car. I have 16 inch wheels with continental tires and they ride very good. I've got 3.4k on her now.

I wasn't sure at first but I really love the car. The sable metallic might be one of the best colors GM has.

I guess some buys are putting Camaro 20 inch rims on them.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766

I wasn't sure at first but I really love the car. The sable metallic might be one of the best colors GM has.

I guess some buys are putting Camaro 20 inch rims on them.

Guys at work give me [censored] saying its "purple" it don't bother me. It's got a real nice shine in the sunlight. Im averaging 28mpg combined so far. I just need to take it to the dealer next week for the gas Guage fluctuating and not letting me full up all the way once n a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Is the 28 mpg pure stop/go and short trip or folks who enjoy the swoop of turbo?

Little bit of everything. Some Highway, with traffic, some stop and go and little hammer down to enjoy the Turbo.

I agree with you, not a fan of the back end. I recall renting a malibu..cant recall the year but had the standard 4cyl and it seemed like a very well rounded ride, one of the nicer cars ive had. Enjoy it
smile.gif

Hows the acceleration?

Ps. Just saw you have the 2L turbo..250hp..must move fast enough!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I agree with you, not a fan of the back end. I recall renting a malibu..cant recall the year but had the standard 4cyl and it seemed like a very well rounded ride, one of the nicer cars ive had. Enjoy it
smile.gif

Hows the acceleration?

Ps. Just saw you have the 2L turbo..250hp..must move fast enough!!

LOL
You have to remember my Trans Am runs 11 second 1/4 miles and the Grand Prix has some tasteful modifications and will hit 13.80's.
Road test have noted a 0-60 time of anywhere from 6.2 to 6.5 and a 1/4 mile time of 14.70 to 14.90. So for a daily driver it does just fine. Enough go and handling combined to make it enjoyable.

Dang, that is a great looking 'bu ! Congrats! I think the General is doing some pretty good stuff these days.

I don't like the back end from the pic. But maybe in person it would be better. From what I see otherwise it looks great. Hope it works well for a long time for you.

I'm envious...kind of......

Nice review, and nice car. The buttons on the shifter are awkward, and so is the transmission programming -- the 2011 Malibu we had at work suffered from those same issues. But ours didn't have 270 turbocharged horsepower, either, to offset it.
smile.gif

Great buy, Mike.

I'm glad you're enjoying the car. Growing up I really hated American car interiors but they've really pulled a 180 in the last few years.

It's a great looking car to me, in and out.

I've never driven this style Malibu. Do those thick rear pillars create blind-spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back