Rotella 5W-40 in an '07 Subaru Impreza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently did the head gaskets in g/f's '07 Impreza. This is the normally aspirated 2.5L boxer motor, not the WRX turbo. Anyway, the oil and coolant leaks are now gone (bottom of the engine is bone dry after a 4,000 mile cross country trip from Florida) but it did use about 2 quarts of oil during that time. And before anyone asks, the PCV valve is brand new. So, even though Subaru calls for 5W-30 in this engine (I've been using Valvoline Max-Life 5W-30), does anyone think it would be worthwhile trying some Rotella T6 (or other XW-40) to try and slow down the consumption? Or is this a bad idea? The car is driven on a 30 mile round-trip commute at freeway speeds daily, and will be in the Seattle area, so maybe an occasional sub-freezing start-up, but nothing sub-zero.

Oops, forgot to add, the engine has about 140K on it at this point. Thanks in advance for any input.

T6 is pretty stout for a NA ea 2.5. You could run it, but I'd suggest M1 0w-40 or edge 0w-40 for a heavier than 5w-30 option.

Also drop 3oz of TWC-3 2 cycle in each tank if you want a smooth boxer experience.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
T6 is pretty stout for a NA ea 2.5. You could run it, but I'd suggest M1 0w-40 or edge 0w-40 for a heavier than 5w-30 option.

Also drop 3oz of TWC-3 2 cycle in each tank if you want a smooth boxer experience.

+1
Either the M1 or the Edge would be a better oil and either would cost about the same per quart from Walmart.
GC is another possible choice.
Our 2.5 NA Forester seemed to like it.

If T6 came in 4.25qt jugs, I might give it a better endorsement. M1 rebate on now, and M1 0w-40 runs smoother than anything else in my LGT..

Mike,
I had an 06. I used Castrol, M1 and T6.
My BEST results was with M1. I base this from MPG and oil consumption. I too had the HG problem at 110K. Traded it for a new car. prior to this, M1 5w30 gave me the best results. 1/2 qt consumption every 3.5K. Castrol was 1 qt.
T6 might be great for turbo motors, but NA will not benefit from it.
My EJ felt like it was pulling an anchor with it in the sump.
FWIW, you cannot go wrong with any good synthetic 5w30 for an NA.

Maxlife 5W-30 is a great oil. But, if you want to try something a bit thicker, why not try their Maxlife 10W-40...

I tried T6 in a number of cars (Jag, Saab, VW) and was never really please with the results. I do not have any Subraru experience... I did have good luck with it in a Beemer.

I'm switching to Maxlife from HDEO's for some of the fleet. I think it's a really good starting point
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back