GM terrain uses oil since new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
In the old day when I drove trucks the freight trucks with the 8v71s would use a gallon doing a San Francisco bay area to Los Angles basin round trip, about 750 miles maybe 800 max.
Those green leakers leaked that much on that trip
smile.gif

I must have gotten GM motors that fell thru the general design cracks. A '98 2500 with a 454, and it barely used 1/4 qt in 5000 miles. A 2013 1500 5.3L that used about 1/4 qt in 6000 miles. And a 2015 2500 6.0 the barely moves off the full mark in 6000 miles. I didn't do my due diligence in research before buying the 2013 1500, so I had to ditch it for a 2015 2500 that more met my needs. Ate that one, but learned my lesson.

Many automakers, not just GM, say that up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is "acceptable". BMW, Honda, Toyota, Audi, Chrysler, Ford, have all said that up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is OK.

My personal experience is that my vehicles have used maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a quart every 5K - 7K miles. IMO, this is acceptable.

While I don't think it is that bad at all, but if it has done so since new, that is probably normal for your engine. If it burnt no oil when new and now burns 1 qt/5,000 miles, I would say it might get worse as the miles add up. Switch oil brands and see if that helps. Maybe try a conventional over a synthetic?

This is off topic, but I have noticed newer cars that are supposed to be efficient, can have quite dirty exhaust tips with a good layer of carbon buildup. Imagine what the CAT has to filter out right from the manifold? Not being an engineer, I don't know how efficient an engine could be with an exhaust that is black? The original exhaust on my Impala is very clean. A co-workers 2012 Malibu 4 cylinder with 36,000 miles looks as dirty as my 91' Camry's? I don't get it?

Leave it alone and motor on. 1 qt in 5K miles is fine. Some use a lot more than that some use less. You have nothing to worry about.

1 qt in 5000 miles is not a lot. However, there have been many topics on this forum about the GM 2.4 DI Ecotec and oil consumption problems. Im not starting another battle about it but there is plenty to read about that particular engine.

The ecotec in my sig still to this day uses no noticeable oil according to the dipstick (always at full mark). I admit i am not an engineer but should one expect a DI to use more oil compared to non DI engine of oil because of engine design?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I have never had an engine that used even 1/3 quart during a 6,000 mile oil change when the engine had 100,000 + miles on it. A quart in 5K would suspect something wrong with the engine or the designers. Ed

You must be pretty young not to see engines of old and their oil consumption. 1 Qt per 5K is fine.

For what it's worth BMW says on the new turbo M cars that 2.5qts per 750 miles is acceptable depending on operating conditions

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
For what it's worth BMW says on the new turbo M cars that 2.5qts per 750 miles is acceptable depending on operating conditions

Goodness that is pitiful. The engineers need to be re-schooled if that is the best they can come up with.

Its all mental. People think they somehow have a better engine if it uses less oil. And most of these people are non technical.

It really doesn't make any difference in resale value so people should give it a rest.

Nobody cares about your perfect mill.

Originally Posted By: stower17

Goodness that is pitiful. The engineers need to be re-schooled if that is the best they can come up with.

That is pitiful. If I bought a new BMW and that were the case they'd be fixing it.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Its all mental. People think they somehow have a better engine if it uses less oil. And most of these people are non technical.

It really doesn't make any difference in resale value so people should give it a rest.

Nobody cares about your perfect mill.

Well, yes, I would say that the less oil the engine burns then the more "perfect" it is, if there is such a thing. I have oil burning engines too and they run good. I dont consider my ONE non oil burning engine to be "better", but I have driven other same make/model/year of my car and mine has a power advantage over the others that i have driven without a doubt. The other ones could not break the tires loose. Youre correct that oil burning wont affect resale value because the next buyer wont have anyway of proving it burns oil unless you let them use it for an extended test drive.

I dont consider oil burning a problem, to a certain extent. Ive only owned one car that doesnt burn oil. All the others burned some to varying degrees and i was always told its normal and i still believe that to this day. The next car I buy Im sure will use a little oil and Im okay with that, i just cant explain the one off engine I have.

FWIW, I had a 2002 Acura RSX Type S that used 1 quart every 1,500 miles and Honda Motor wouldn't touch the car, saying it's within the standard limit of 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

You don't have an issue with the engine, IMO.

Most likely because there are 2 turbos combined with a very high compression engine. Blow by in turbos exacerbate oil consumption of NA engine big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back