Frankenfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a script for a new move.

Is there any place in the world where an invading species has been good for the environment?

Hey, since GMO's often utilize both animal and plant DNA could they cross a pig with spinach or kale so bacon's good for me?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Fish that feed out in the wild make better food.

You mean the ones that eat stuff contaminated by agricultural and industrial runoff?

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Hey, since GMO's often utilize both animal and plant DNA could they cross a pig with spinach or kale so bacon's good for me?
Well I call meat a vegetable. what do cows eat? Grass. Unless it is feed lot fattened then its antibiotic and silage or what ever.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Just as long as they don't get out into the wild, like these stupid Asian jumping carp did.

"I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way."

Ian Malcolm

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Sounds like a script for a new move.

Is there any place in the world where an invading species has been good for the environment?

The Huns did a lot of logging and helped clearing Central Europe's depressingly dark and dense forests. They were also responsible for rmuch urban and rural renewal.

Originally Posted By: CT8
GMO fish or produce, I would rather not eat it.

If you've eaten anything in the last few hundred years you've most likely consumed something that has been genetically modified by humans. We've been doing it by selective breeding and cross breeding for centuries, in both livestock and plants. The only difference now is that the end result takes weeks rather than years.

There's a big difference between selective breeding and, for example, gene-splicing a fish gene into tomatoes or creating Roundu-ready crops.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: CT8
GMO fish or produce, I would rather not eat it.

If you've eaten anything in the last few hundred years you've most likely consumed something that has been genetically modified by humans. We've been doing it by selective breeding and cross breeding for centuries, in both livestock and plants. The only difference now is that the end result takes weeks rather than years.

Pops, selectively breeding a couple of grass species to make a new sugar rich grain, or a hairless guinea pig so you don't get fur in your throat when you BBQ it AZTEC style is nothing like GM these days.

I'm frankly shocked that you would make such an ignorant statement, when they are gene splicing across species which could never be "selectively bred"...try selective breeding Clostridium Botulinum or Funnel Web Spiders with a blade of grass...

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Just as long as they don't get out into the wild, like these stupid Asian jumping carp did.

"I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way."

Ian Malcolm

"That is one big pile of [censored]!"
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back