filtering oil? Coffee filter, funnel and rubber ba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this how you guys filter your oil when reusing it? I was going to put a coffee funnel on the end of a funnel that's held on by a rubber band.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use what my neighbor does: he has a "spinner" type slinger setup from a 50's era Waukesha engine and uses his air compressor to do this. I don't know much about his contraption but he's like TIG1 and uses M1 to 15,000 miles

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Oil in a sump IS filtered...

I'm removing a temperature probe so I can put yellow Teflon tape on it. I used white Teflon tape beofore and that didn't work out too well, plus I don't want bits and pieces of Teflon tape clogging my pickup. The pickup on the filter is only about 2" in diameter.

Simple gravity oil filter. Long plastic pipe, insert rolls of toilet paper in one end with the centers plugged. Pour oil in, drain it into clean pan. Takes time, lots of time, sometimes a day or two. Filters great. Moisture will never make it through so acids are eliminated. Even the smallest particles will get trapped. Farmers here have used this method for years with UOA's every now and then to double check their work. Others that have no idea what their looking at automatically reject the idea. The farmers are not impressed buy their useless evaluation.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Oil in a sump IS filtered...

I'm removing a temperature probe so I can put yellow Teflon tape on it. I used white Teflon tape beofore and that didn't work out too well, plus I don't want bits and pieces of Teflon tape clogging my pickup. The pickup on the filter is only about 2" in diameter.

Wait till your next oil change, or stick something in to plug the hole while you doctor the tape.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Who re uses oil?

They make some filter bags for this type of thing.

These are 1/2 micron but they make cheaper 5 microns bags
http://www.amazon.com/Micron-Polyester-Felt-Filter-Coated/dp/B0072PRCAM

But why not? (apart from hassle, mess and health issues)

There are fairly high performance spun polypropylene filter candles for potable water filtration widely available here. Media not expensive but maximum temperature is 60 degrees C so I'd expect it would be very slow with motor oil.

I thought that I could perhaps use something like this with seasonal oil changes between, say 40W and 15/40 giving the oil six months on, six months off which might be long enough to filter it offline.

Dunno if I can reliably remove oil via the drain plug without contaminating it though. Might need to pump it. Would also need to dumpster-dive the filter holder(s) since I'm not going to buy one. The ones I've seen chucked out so far .have been institutional and too big.

For the OP, you don't need a very fine filter to take bits of PTFE tape out, since they're flat. Maybe the foot end of a laddered pair of tights (er...pantyhose in American, I think. Nothing to do with Robin Hood)

Tiny pieces that might get through shouldn't be a problem. You've just made yourself some Slick.

Well, okay say you are able to completely filter all of the particulates, acids, etc.. out of your oil and come out with 'perfectly clean motor oil' at the end...

... what do you plan to do to fix the TBN value?

The used oil is clean, but the detergents, etc.. and of course TBN.. has been depleted by its prior use, and personally I wouldn't consider it to be as-is usable motor oil. it would need additives added to it.

The OP you replied to is concerned about some PTFE fragments he might get / have got in his oil.

He hasn't, IIRC, told us anything else about the oil, but we've got no reason to believe its at end-of-life.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
Would oil even be thin enough to pass through a coffee filter without some sort of pressure behind it?

Tried it, it wouldn't go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back