Amsoil - SS 0W40 vs. Euro 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering which one is generally better for Euro applications. SS is a little bit thicker than Euro. Both seems to be PAO based - but which one has more PAO in formulation? Is there any difference in ZDDP/phosphorus content between SS and Euro? I've already tried SS 0W40 - wonderful oil, reduced my oil consumption to minimum. Now I have to change oil in my EA111 family VW group engine (like older 1.8 T etc.) - exactly low mileage (100 000 km) 1.4 8 valve version. So which one to choose - SS or Euro?

Both oils are not much more expensive than Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 - that has less PAO in formulation and looks on paper not as good as SS 0W40.

The euro 0w40 just barely makes the NOACK limit, while SS 0w40 is well below it. SS 0w40 is a bit thicker overall too.

Amsoil Euro 5w40 sure looks like a good oil though.

also look at AFF 0w-40 for atv's. i was assured by a rep that this oil is fine to use in a car. its a SL rated oil. a little thick but a great oil.

All I can say is they made the euro version for a reason. Talk to pablo. He has great insight about the oils. I asked him about the ss 0w40 for my audi and he recommended the euro full saps 5w40 instead.

I believe the SS 0W40 will have lower SAPS and ZDDP values (more in line with the SS 30 grade oils) when compared to the Euro 0W40, which likely has a full addition of ZDDP as well as being full SAPS (+1%) like other Euro oils with MB 229.5 / BMW LL-01 approvals.

But, to be absolutely sure, you should ask Pablo, or point him to this thread. His would be the best answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back