US equivalent to Waffenfett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
I'm looking for gun grease that is equivalent to Waffenfett, a Swiss Army grease that is used as C/L/P. This is a perfect oil geek, er, I mean aficionado, question.

Background: for Christmas, Mrs. Astro is getting me a Swiss K31 rifle. An interesting rifle with a straight pull action and reputation for exceptional accuracy. I've downloaded the Swiss Army manual for the rifle, and it's quite particular that only grease should be used.

The grease of course, is Waffenfett, which is used to clean the bore, lubricate the straight pull action, and to wipe down both the metal and the stock (!). Since it's used on the wood, walnut in this particular case, beech in later models, I reckon that it can't be petroleum based. That would harm the wood.

I've seen a few European websites that sell it, but nothing here in the US. I've only found it on EBay as part of historical/collector surplus Swiss Army cleaning kits.

So, what's the US equivalent? Or, alternatively, where can I buy it here?

Thanks in advance,
Astro

Originally Posted By: Astro14
for Christmas, Mrs. Astro is getting me a Swiss K31 rifle.

You'll put an eye out.

Waffle fat? Can't you find Mil-Comm TW25B grease? If you want a fine European product, why not Ballistol Guntec 24392 Weapon Care Grease?

I was concerned about the Mil-Comm on the stock...while I don't plan to wipe down the stock as the Army manual suggests, I would prefer to stay true to the weapon's original care instructions.

Looking at the rifle, it's one of the few that still has decent wood. Nearly all of them have great metal, and beat up wood. This one still has excellent wood.

I will search for the Ballistol, that looks like it might fit the bill...

Thanks!

Edit: I see that the Ballistol is the Liqui Moly Gun Tec...right? Still looking for a shop that carries it...

Last edited:
I'm looking for gun grease that is equivalent to Waffenfett, a Swiss Army grease that is used as C/L/P. This is a perfect oil geek, er, I mean aficionado, question.

Background: for Christmas, Mrs. Astro is getting me a Swiss K31 rifle. An interesting rifle with a straight pull action and reputation for exceptional accuracy. I've downloaded the Swiss Army manual for the rifle, and it's quite particular that only grease should be used.

Congrats on getting a K31! I've had mine for several years and have really enjoyed it. Hope you get a name tag under the butt plate. I can tell you that I used just a tad of wheel bearing grease on mine and have never had any problems with it. If you get the straight pull itch find yourself a steyr M95 and you'll have the 2 weirdest rifles at the range. My gun has a beech stock and I just cleaned it with some pledge.

The grease of course, is Waffenfett, which is used to clean the bore, lubricate the straight pull action, and to wipe down both the metal and the stock (!). Since it's used on the wood, walnut in this particular case, beech in later models, I reckon that it can't be petroleum based. That would harm the wood.

I've seen a few European websites that sell it, but nothing here in the US. I've only found it on EBay as part of historical/collector surplus Swiss Army cleaning kits.

So, what's the US equivalent? Or, alternatively, where can I buy it here?

Thanks in advance,
Astro

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Waffenfett.......Isn't that German for pig fat?

Waffen = weapon (gun) Fett = grease

Gun Grease is the literal translation...but in this case it refers to a particular formulation, rather than the broad category.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Waffenfett.......Isn't that German for pig fat?

You mean because they don't wipe their greasy fingers after stuffing themselves with sausages, pork knuckles and ribs? That would explain the shiny and slippery steering wheel in my rental car in Frankfurt!
grin2.gif

Well I don't know how I messed up that last post..

Congrats on getting a K31! I've been enjoying mine for several years now. I can tell you that I just used a dab of wheel bearing grease on the bolt and cleaned the rest of the gun like normal and haven't ever had any problems with it. Hope you get a name tag under the butt plate! Mine has the beech stock and is a little beat up but it shoots great. If you get the straight pull itch find yourself a steyr M95 and you'll have the two weirdest rifles at the range. I like them both.

Thanks. I've read about them before, and the straight pull design was appealing, as was accuracy and the troop tag.

In fact, I (well, she, actually) paid a bit extra because I wanted three things:
1. Walnut in good condition (as you know, this isn't common)
2. WW2 vintage (1941 in this case.)
3. The troop tag

Cheers,
Astro

When you get that schmidt-rubin pull the butt plate off the stock should be a name under it of the person it was issued to.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
When you get that schmidt-rubin pull the butt plate off the stock should be a name under it of the person it was issued to.

pix988476944_zpsw4sropbf.jpg

Ballistol is mineral oil based. Therefore it is petroleum based. But it still works good. The Germans used it on wood, leather, and metal for years. Yes, it is the LEAST ideal for wood. But it offered some water protection in a pinch. However, soaking the wood with it could cause issues because it never cures.

Originally Posted By: Superflop

pix988476944_zpsw4sropbf.jpg

oh man that is so cool. I love history and that is awesome

Your new rifle will be better off if you don't put anything at all on the wood. If it gets really dirty, wipe it off with a barely damp (or just dry) towel. No need to but any oil on it unless you are planning to drag it through a wet battlefield.

Use some TW25B on the metal parts and some Johnson's furniture wax on the wood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back