Subaru Lineartronic CVT taken apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I did not l like the idea of a CVT before this video made it clear that it's not for me.

I would think that a CVT owner should be very careful about what tranny fluid they use and to change it more often than required, just to be sure. It looks like an expensive proposition to get it rebuilt.

I rebuild the 5-speed manual in my Honda by myself in my garage at home but it's not going to happen with something like a CVT.

Toyota made a good choice by using a planetary tranny instead of a CVT in their Prius. With no sliding or friction parts and no gear shifting inside and no reverse gear to deal with, it should not only last a long time but be cheap and easy to rebuild.

PS The Prius backs up with the electric motor, only.

Yeah, mind boggling to me too. I would think that the chances a proper rebuild would be nil.

Also, no filter? I think OneEye has a point in getting the fluid changed a bit more often may be a good idea.

So far, love my Forester!

I would think there's got to be some type of screen or filter before the pump suction. Have to find a picture of what it looks like under the pan.

subaru has yet to have a single model of transmission tarnish it's name. (knock on wood). the worst problem they've had was occassional AWD shuddering on the early OB's with auto trans. Being the case, if anyone can build a good CVT, I'd give them a chance.

Even the Subaru CVTs (manufactured by JATCO) are pretty reliable. It seems that Nissan just cheapens their designs so they can make the cars to a price (or lease) point.

Here's the image I was thinking of from over at nasioc. The OP of the thread said there was a screen/filter and it had a fair amount of "shavings" in it. No pics of the filter though:

IMG_0895.jpg

FWIW, I've driven Subaru's Lineartronics and they feel better than Nissan or Honda's CVTs. I haven't driven Toyota's new CVT yet.

Originally Posted By: meep
subaru has yet to have a single model of transmission tarnish it's name. (knock on wood). the worst problem they've had was occassional AWD shuddering on the early OB's with auto trans. Being the case, if anyone can build a good CVT, I'd give them a chance.

If you don't count the SVX's early 4EAT and some of the next gen's 4EAT where the clutch pack would wear and cause binding, I agree.

It's a pretty decent bunch of transmissions.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I rebuild the 5-speed manual in my Honda by myself in my garage at home but it's not going to happen with something like a CVT.

The average person is not going to rebuild a manual, automatic or CVT by themselves at home though, so it really won't matter to most of the population how simple or complicated their transmission is. The shops that get their heads around repairing CVT's are going to make good money in the future.

Very, very few reports of failure with the CVT transmissions on the Subaru boards.

Originally Posted By: Wheel

If you don't count the SVX's early 4EAT and some of the next gen's 4EAT where the clutch pack would wear and cause binding, I agree.

^^^ i think we are talking about the same thing - the AWD shuddering was result of that limited slip clutch.^^^

I wasn't aware of any repeated issues with the 4EAT? The SVX presented a challenge because of the torque from the H6, which that trans had never seen before. And to put it in perspective, the reason they didn't offer the svx in a manual, though they had one that would physically fit, was because they couldn't install a manual capable of handling the H6 torque within the space they had. That says something about the 4EAT and what it had to handle.

The awd clutch was a nuisance, I guess I attributed that to a poor AWD design, separate from gear-changing. One could see it the other way too I suppose. Regardless, I'd feel ok giving their CVT a chance if it were me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wheel

^^^ i think we are talking about the same thing - the AWD shuddering was result of that limited slip clutch.^^^

I wasn't aware of any repeated issues with the 4EAT? The SVX presented a challenge because of the torque from the H6, which that trans had never seen before. And to put it in perspective, the reason they didn't offer the svx in a manual, though they had one that would physically fit, was because they couldn't install a manual capable of handling the H6 torque within the space they had. That says something about the 4EAT and what it had to handle.

The awd clutch was a nuisance, I guess I attributed that to a poor AWD design, separate from gear-changing. One could see it the other way too I suppose. Regardless, I'd feel ok giving their CVT a chance if it were me.
[color:#FF0000][/color]

The 2016 Outback H6 has the CVT( high torque version)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Here's the image I was thinking of from over at nasioc. The OP of the thread said there was a screen/filter and it had a fair amount of "shavings" in it. No pics of the filter though:

That's my car on nasioc. I had the fluid changed at 10K miles. There's a screen above the pan that had the metal shavings. The dealership cleaned it out and reinstalled it. I changed the fluid myself at 60K with Valvoline Synthetic CVTF. Plan on doing it again around 120K, which should be in the next two years.

I think my wife and I got lucky on the purchase of her AWD SUV. We are rural folks who live in the boondocks down very bad roads...mostly dirt. Therefore, when she bought a new car, she got a Forester Turbo. Like many, I haven't yet gotten a handle on the mechanics of the CVT, but as mentioned in an earlier post the Subaru CVT seems to be an excellent transmission. When I change the fluid, it will be the OE Subaru ATF specified by Subaru for this particular model. We own 3 vehicles with A/T's. A '15 F-350 Diesel 6-speed, the '15 Forester and a 1996 V6 Camry with 325,000 miles on the original engine & transmission. The 541E in the old car specifies Dexron II, so that one's easy: Mobil-1. Other synthetics are likely as good for that application. The Ford, like the Subaru will get only the factory fluid, with the possible exception that Ford does license several (Conoco/Phillips being one example) ATF's as Dexron VI and I would use Ford LICENSED fluid in the 4WD diesel. What many folks will do (I won't) is use an ATF not licensed by the vehicle manufacturer in one of these complicated newer electronic multi speed or CVT transmissions. I really don't care what the lubricant supplier or blender recommends on the container, in these expensive and complicated new transmissions, it pays to go by vehicle maker specifications. It's easier with the older ones, and quite frankly 325,000 trouble-free miles has proven to me that the old Aisin 541E, with proper care, is one of the best transmissions ever made. I doubt the Subaru CVT or Ford 6-speed will meet that record, even with proper maintenance using specified fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back