Ughh Winter Tires! Pirelli, Continental or Gislave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... if Tire Rack's prices are any indication of relative pricing north of the border, then I can understand why you're not looking at 215/55R16.

I had the Xi3 on my 3 last winter, and I can say that they're definitely adequate in deep snow conditions, but a friend who had Blizzak WS-70s on his Jetta for the last few years seems to have better traction in deeper snow.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Actually just found a tire shop thats has a deal on X-ice3's that are $40 more than the Con and Pirelli I listed. FRom what I've read on tirerack and elsewhere they're right up there with the Blizzaks and nokians.

Xi 3 are good. But slush and deep snow are not their friend. If you are driving in deep snow, slush etc, get Conti, Blizzak. If you are dealing with black ice or similar conditions then get Xi3. We just got 18 inches in some areas, some areas have snow drifts of 4ft, and trust me, every time we have this I am glad I went with Blizzaks. When it is nice weather, I wish I bought Xi3, but when it is time for reality check, I am glad I got Blizzaks.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Actually just found a tire shop thats has a deal on X-ice3's that are $40 more than the Con and Pirelli I listed. FRom what I've read on tirerack and elsewhere they're right up there with the Blizzaks and nokians.

They are longer lasting than the competition so your paying less per mile. I have been running them for years(Xi2,3 and Latitute XIce) and they lasted for 5 seasons on the Trailblazer to get to 6/32"

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I was ordering tires last week at local DT, difference between Nokian H R2 and Blizzak DM-V2 was $190 per tire.

I did not even know they made the R2s in an H speed rating, even in lower profiles/larger diameters.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I was ordering tires last week at local DT, difference between Nokian H R2 and Blizzak DM-V2 was $190 per tire.

I did not even know they made the R2s in an H speed rating,

They don't. The 'H' in his post stood for Hakkapeliitta.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Like QP just explained.

You might pick up the latest issue of Car & Driver. They did a winter tire review. Michelin x-ice3 just one point under the top rated Nokian H.

Originally Posted By: RustyH
You might pick up the latest issue of Car & Driver. They did a winter tire review. Michelin x-ice3 just one point under the top rated Nokian H.

There is thread about that test here on this forum.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Like QP just explained.

OK, Thanks! (It would defeat the purpose of that model to be offered in a higher speed rating, so that's why I asked.
wink.gif
)

205/60R16 is good size instead of 215/55R16. This is what I use on Audi A4 since narrower tire offers better snow/ice grip.
I see you are looking for brans/model. I use Conti ExtrmeContact since gets us around during ski season. The other car has Dunlup M3s since they good on snow and dry roads since don't drive this car when there is a lot of snow due to being low sport version.
In use there is no need for any speed rating for winter tires since who drives over 80mph for long periods of time.

Originally Posted By: a2gtinut
narrower tire offers better snow/ice grip

This isn't always the case. Whether to go narrow or not for winter depends on what kind of conditions you get the most often.

If you're dealing with lots of fresh, wet snow or slush, go narrower to cut through it and hopefully hit a more grippy surface underneath.

If you're dealing with more packed snow or ice (or very dry powder that packs down well as soon as you drive on it), stay wider, as these behave more like pavement in the sense that having more contact area will typically get more grip.

Wider tires also will have more grip on cold, dry pavement between snow storms.

In the end, I tend to say people in areas that are typically very cold (and get snow at lower temps, which tends to be more powdery) are better off staying a little wider, while those in slightly warmer areas that get more wet snow and melted down slush after a snow should go narrower.

If you can find General Altimax Arctic in your area, those are basically a rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3. Both brands are part of the Continental group. The Altimax Arctic is an excellent tire with a price that's hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back