Fuel tankers supplying same fuel to tall stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
You know this has been discussed ad nauseum here on BITOG..

Name a topic that has not been discussed "ad nauseam" on this site?
Many a pound of gourmet,tender horse meat has been produced here.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Gasoline comes through a pipeline in most areas and into tanks at the tank farm. When the gasoline is loaded into the tanker the different additive packages for the different brands are also loaded. The exception to this is apparently Costco who buys commodity gasoline and mixes in their own additive package on site.

I can verify that Costco adds their top tier stuff at each station. Seen it done and spoke with the attendants. Not sure about other brands where it is done.

Good / bad has a lot to do with the station franchisee / owner.

I have a bad Shell owner here who wouldn't fix their pumps, yell at you for using Visa/MC debit card inside the convenient store to pump instead of at the pump (he doesn't know about the preapproval process), and my parents claim that they always got "full stop" at the nozzle when it is not and it get less mpg (suspecting fraud).

I also have a local mom and pop unbranded station that always get cold start issue and I suspect they have leak in the underground tank.

My biggest concern is if the station owner didn't put in enough additive whenever they are loading from the tanker, that means you really have to trust the station owner if you want to make sure the detergent level is good.

Same base gasoline, different additive packages. And you can be darned sure that Petro-Canada makes sure Petro-Canada gas stations buy from them, and Imperial Oil makes sure Esso buys from them, and so forth. The oil companies check. Heck, we even had a few Petro-Canada stations shut down when they were out of "their own" gasoline, rather than buying from someone else. I guess they take their branding and/or Top Tier certification seriously.

While Costco may do the adding at the station thing, I would trust additives being injected into the fuel stream as it is loaded in a tanker to better ensure the mix is uniform distributed in the fuel. No being able to monkey around with the level of additives as there is at the station who is doing the additive thing on site.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Franchise might not follow franchise rules until caught.

Mom/pop store doesn't automatically mean bad gas.

Additives can be added to the tank at the station, or to the truck at the tank farm.

My favorite fleet issue... leaded AV-GAS tanker breaks down, and unleaded tanker filled with AVGAS makes the airport run. And you wonder why you get sudden lead in UOAs?

stay far far far away from mom/pop/stepmom/steppop stores.

us diesel guys have learned expensive lessons going to small diesel places.

There is a town I get gas at that has two BP stations. Small town and unusual for two of the same stations but it's a big truck stop tow. The two BPs use different suppliers. One I believe is Marathon trucked in from Chicago because the premium is 93, the other uses 92 octane. The 92 octane comes from the local tank farm.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Same base gasoline, different additive packages. And you can be darned sure that Petro-Canada makes sure Petro-Canada gas stations buy from them, and Imperial Oil makes sure Esso buys from them, and so forth. The oil companies check. Heck, we even had a few Petro-Canada stations shut down when they were out of "their own" gasoline, rather than buying from someone else. I guess they take their branding and/or Top Tier certification seriously.

Here Exxon was called Esso, too. With the tiger, Esso Ultron syn and so.

Esso still is chugging along here nicely. Just about everyone takes a back seat to Petro-Canada lately when it comes to station permeation and hours. And they always have the nicest locations. I'm very lucky, though. I'm close enough to a Costco filling station that my neighbourhood Shell, Esso, Petro-Canada, and Husky stations keep honest with their pricing.

I live near one of the largest fuel ports on the East cost. The storage tanks are all connected by piping underground. When a ship comes in the fuel goes to whoever bought it. Most of the gas companies have some [censored] additive they say they use. I am a welder/pipefitter and have worked on the tanks and piping numerous times. i use the cheapest gas I can find, just buy from a high volume station.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Why don't stations ever display a TOP TIER SOLD HERE sign?

Great question.

I'd never head of Top Tier Gasoline before reading about it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back