Long Term Storage Rifle Option: AR15 vs AK47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking to purchase a rifle for infrequent range outings and have a few questions. I am looking for either an AR15 or an AK47, I plan on shooting it a few times a year max and otherwise it will stay locked in the gun cabinet. From a resisting corrosion and requiring minimal maintenance/parts replacement, which of these two options would work for a 10+ year shelf life.
Thanks!

I'd be more concerned about which rifle I liked shooting better. I'd spend some time exploring that before I worried about storage.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hi, I am looking to purchase a rifle for infrequent range outings and have a few questions. I am looking for either an AR15 or an AK47, I plan on shooting it a few times a year max and otherwise it will stay locked in the gun cabinet. From a resisting corrosion and requiring minimal maintenance/parts replacement, which of these two options would work for a 10+ year shelf life.
Thanks!
either one keep them oiled and away fron moisture. Or you could just cosmo the [censored] outta them and wrap in an oil cloth.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I'd be more concerned about which rifle I liked shooting better. I'd spend some time exploring that before I worried about storage.

+1

Id imagine the market has stainless options for the AR platform that might be interesting. Ive never specifically looked for them, but have shopped such options for other weapons.

Plus the black coatings should be somewhat corrosion-proof.

Id focus on materials and rustproofing lubes, and then ensure that the platform is good and enjoyable.

10 year shelf life? These are metal guns. They will last 100 plus years in your usage scenario.

They both are good guns. The AR is more accurate, more modular, easier to customize, has lower recoil, easier to swap broken parts, etc. The AK has a more powerful round that penetrates barriers better, has a better round if hunting dear sized game.

Both are great SHTF guns. And range blasters too, if that is all you will use it for.

Which one are you more comfortable with? Do some shooting with both and then decide. There are so many to choose from today it's crazy. Any gun will last far longer than ten years - just keep it oiled up. Make sure you keep an adequate supply of ammo and mags to go with it.

Whichever you purchase, just be sure it has a Chrome lined bore. Both AR's and AK's come with them. Then you can forget about the bore rusting. You can also buy AR-15's with Stainless Steel barrels which while not rust proof, are far more rust resistant. The rest depends on where you live. I'm in Arizona, and gun rust isn't something I even consider. I have guns in the rear of my safe that haven't been touched in years. They're as clean as the day I put them there.

If you live in a humid, rainy climate, you're going to have to oil them much more frequently and use silica packs, or else a Golden Rod dehumidifier in your safe. The important thing to remember is the climate determines the length of time you can go without wiping and oiling them..... Not the gun.

Back in 1996/7 during the Oz buyback, certain groups of people hung around the Police station, and offered the punters $100 more than the gendarmes were paying, specifically for the SKS and SKK.

For long term storage, probably in buried PVC tubes.

If you've got an infrequent use comparable to that, then pick the closest machine to that.

Your question was which of the two is better at resisting corrosion and requiring minimal maintenance/parts replacement.
IMHO:
I don't know about the new ARs but the original Colts had nothing that would rust.
Chrome lined barrels, alloy receivers ect ect. They could be put up wet and did not rust.

The AK on the other hand will rust. But most firearms will rust. Just store them with most any kind off gun oil and you are good to go.

Both weapons require minimal maintenance . The AR is way more accurate than the AK.

I personally like a good bolt action rifle .

When I was in the TA (British Army Reserve) we had LMG's (Light Machine Guns) which were re-chambered Bren's, with 1944 stamped on the breeches.

They were heavily used, and probably heavily over-cleaned, but still very accurate.

Not the same gun, and not the same usage scenario, but it does suggest that military small arms tend to have staying power.

It's a non issue. Unless you're storing them outside the most basic minimal maintenance will be plenty.

run an oil patch down the barrel, rub some motor oil on the outside of the metal and oil other metal parts, check and reoil in a few years.
salts from handling is an area of concern
keep in a moisture controlled environment.

I have M1s sitting for years as they came from CMP and looks the same as the day I got them.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Whichever you purchase, just be sure it has a Chrome lined bore.

Many AR-15's and some AK47's are coming with Nitride/Melonite (same basic thing) barrels. This is more durable than chrome and more corrosion resistant. They dunk the whole barrel in the treatment solution so the inside/outside of the barrel is treated. On a chrome lined barrel, only the bore is coated.

Get both rifles, and post back here in 50 years with a comprehensive corosion report. They are both fun guns and one of each isn't a bad idea.

This is not Chevy vs Ford, but Chevy or Ford vs Chinese made car. AR-15 all the way, and get one in the Colt flavor if you have the money. A red dot scope is very nice with these rifles. An AimPoint that I bought long time ago is really nice. Pop holes in pie pans at 100 yards pretty easy with that scope, and you don't have to squint either. Invest in some high capacity high quality mags before another Brady bill comes along, and we have to wait years again for the sunset provision to kick in.

Sure there are kits to build your own. The receiver has to be registered, at least that's the way it use to be. The Colt is money in the bank.

Store your rifle with the firing pin spring uncompressed. Oil it up and put it in a gun case in the closet. It will be fine.

Without reading all the comments, I would shop around (in person) for various models and see which ones feel better for you.

I love my AR, but I'll admit I like the ergonomics of an AK47 or an SKS better. I plan on getting an SKS eventually. Cheap ammo and communist surplus interests me.

If you play your cards right, an AR or SKS can be had for around $400-$450 while the AK47 will be around $500-$550.

Last I looked, you can buy the 7.62x39 for about 50% less than 5.56 too so you might pay a bit more for the AK47, but see immediate savings in ammunition.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Store your rifle with the firing pin spring uncompressed. Oil it up and put it in a gun case in the closet. It will be fine.
ARs and AKs do not have "firing pin springs." I suppose you meant the hammer springs. Either way it doesn't make much difference. Springs wear from use not being compressed.

The OP needs one of those:

ftml73qztjhg7nsfevcr.jpg

http://www.complex.com/style/2013/09/ridiculous-gold-items/versace-gold-plated-ak-47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back