Any good tranny additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 GMC Sierra

Are there any additives you would add to a Tranny? Mine has 103K. I don't know history but planning on draining fluid and new filter soon. I feel a little bit of a 'shift' at about 10/15 mph...feels a bit heavy but could just be the way the truck drives, still getting the feel of it.

Would you recommend any tranny additive or are them more on the snake oil side.

Please advise.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Lubeguard Red

I second this recommendation.
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Lubeguard Red

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

+3

Originally Posted By: Doog
Lubeguard Red

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

+3

+4, we were just discussing this additive today and yesterday.

Originally Posted By: coopns
2005 GMC Sierra

Are there any additives you would add to a Tranny? Mine has 103K. I don't know history but planning on draining fluid and new filter soon. I feel a little bit of a 'shift' at about 10/15 mph...feels a bit heavy but could just be the way the truck drives, still getting the feel of it.

Please advise.

Do a filter change and pan drain DexVI (3-4 quarts come out). Drive for 5000 miles then do another pan drain and 5000 miles. Then have a flush done. Wait on the additives until you see how it goes. 4L60 & 4l80 transmissions should be changed every 50k IMO. when you have the flush done make sure they don't put in any additives. Just a fluid exchange. If you get any slippage then add a bottle of lubeguard red.

Last edited:
Not familiar with your truck. In my Fords I've had good results with trans cooler line flushes (DIY). The one GM I'm maintaining is doing well with a pan drop and filter change, but in that model it gets like 90% of the fluid. Lubeguard Red has treated from great to neutral depending on the application. If they recommend it for your fluid I find it hard to believe it would hurt; worst case would be a wash.

Originally Posted By: coopns
2005 GMC Sierra

Please advise.

Do a filter change and pan drain DexVI (3-4 quarts come out). Drive for 5000 miles then do another pan drain and 5000 miles. Then have a flush done. Wait on the additives until you see how it goes. 4L60 & 4l80 transmissions should be changed every 50k IMO. when you have the flush done make sure they don't put in any additives. Just a fluid exchange. If you get any slippage then add a bottle of lubeguard red.

+1

I like this advice. Dont add additives til its necessary.

Sierra 1500?

Sounds like your talking about the part throttle 1-2 shift on a 4L60E. They can develop a "Slide-Bump" 1-2 shift with mileage.

Probable causes...

1. Broken 2nd Accumulator Piston Spring. The Accumulator cushions the Hydraulic shock to the 2nd Band Servo, With a Broken Spring....Not so much.

2. Worn 2/4 Band, The 2nd Servo gets a "Run" at the Band causing a firmer than desired shift.

Before I get into fixes for this that do not involve a rebuild.....More information is required.

Ive used sea foam trans tune with good results in a transmission that had a pressure problem in the valve body.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
I prefer atf that is sperm whale based. Its all natural so its more eco friendly.

Welcome to the 1970's

Originally Posted By: Superflop
I prefer atf that is sperm whale based. Its all natural so its more eco friendly.

LubeGard Red contains synthetic sperm whale oil.

^Thank you for spelling LubeGard correctly. 60902 is the product number for the 10 oz. bottle. It worked so well for my application I bought the quart bottle when I finished the 10 ouncer. Kira

I would do a pan drop, replace the filter, and fill with dex3 compatible like maxlife atf. I have also used supertech with zero problems. Then do regular pan drops. That's what I did and I have over 180k miles on my 04 Silverado tranny. No lubregard. Doog got it right

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Lubeguard Red

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

+3

+4, we were just discussing this additive today and yesterday.

+5

+7 to LubeGard. That's some good stuff. I use the Platinum but that is probably unnecessary. It was on sale and cheaper than the Red so I figured what the heck. It contains all the Red stuff plus some more.

I disagree with MaxLife ATF though. I'm not saying it's not good stuff because I have read many many good things about it. However, I firmly believe in only using OEM transmission fluid. This is the only fluid I use strictly OEM. Tranny fluid is such a critical and unique fluid and I only want what the engineers who built it to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back