Air Filter Recommendations Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I have been tossing and turning as to what the best air filter is on the market these days. Some people are claiming Wix, others say Frame Extra Guard. I currently have a Percolator Classic and my car seems to be running fine. But again, if you have a preference I would like to know about it. A buddy of mine who is a mechanic recommended AC Delco. I have a 09' Altima with 105K on it and do a lot of city driving therefor I need a filter that offers good protection and enhances gas mileage. If one exists...I'm not interested in a K&N Performance Filter for $55 dollars either - that's way to expensive for me.

Please let me know your thoughts - thanks!

I'd change the pcv valve with an oem version at that mileage. Since many people overlook that maintenance item.

Way too much stress over a air filter. Have a cold one and just use a Fram.

I have both TG and P1 air filters in use in my vehicles. Both have delivered excellent Si results on UOA's, and both have gone beyond 40k miles without showing so much as a millimeter of movement on my filter minders.

If you really want the end all of filtering, Donaldson and AC Delco make the best filters for filtering, period. More than likely, you'll never notice the difference. Some of my trucks do 900 miles a week, and I sure can't find the difference. They're all turning good results, and all staying flowing air.

Ive tried many..and i cant prove which would be better, and I doubt my car can tell. I pretty much change my air filter once a year regardless of miles. I used to change it every 6 months til i realized im likely being wasteful and not getting as much use as I should. None will improve gas mileage in any significant way.

"do a lot of city driving therefor I need a filter that offers good protection"

Could you explain that?

Sounds like you are in Boston. You might have more pollution, being in a city, but I think a air filter filters dust. Not CO2 and other pollutants. You are not on a country road or dust filled road like open prairies or the western US. Is your engine bay covered with dust? Your air might be dirtier but not dustier. I'd like to hear from other. I live in Chicagoland. Do I need a better filter than those who live in farm country?

I have not been impressed with Motorcraft or regular Purolator, Fram seems to have a good bit more media. I switched 3 of my cars over to cleanable Spectres, UOA shows the seem to filter well, good investment.

First thing you need to do is disable your auto-correct.
wink.gif

All those filters you mentioned are decent, and I've had the opportunity to use them all, and happily, except for the Purolator Classic, which is rare up here. My preference is usually for a Wix or Fram air filter, but I've been very happy with the AC Delco ones over the years, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back