Evinrude/Johnson VRO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up 1991 Johnson 40 hp motor, model number TJ40ELEIA. This has OMC's awful VRO design and was looking to bypass it so I can just run my own mix. Just wondering if anyone on here has done it before or has any tips. Also wondering if I should just replace it with a fuel only pump. Thanks in advance.

I did some research on the VRO this summer, as I've been looking for a boat.

Here is what I've heard, from several guys who are very well versed on the VRO system.

By 1991, that system's quirks had been fixed. Realistically, within 2 years of it's release (mid 80's), it was fixed. However, like the early Opti, the damage to the reputation had been done.

I was strongly advised, when looking at VROs that were manufactured in the 90's, to just leave the VRO alone.

Originally Posted By: mjk

Here is what I've heard, from several guys who are very well versed on the VRO system.

By 1991, that system's quirks had been fixed. Realistically, within 2 years of it's release (mid 80's), it was fixed. However, like the early Opti, the damage to the reputation had been done.

I was strongly advised, when looking at VROs that were manufactured in the 90's, to just leave the VRO alone.
I had a VRO discussion with a very knowledgeable local OMC dealer. He stated that they hadn't had any trouble with them at all. The dealer is trustworthy and I do believe what he tells me.

Originally Posted By: mjk

I had a VRO discussion with a very knowledgeable local OMC dealer. He stated that they hadn't had any trouble with them at all. The dealer is trustworthy and I do believe what he tells me.

Heard of guys doing a bypass on vro... if it can be done easy, go for it... before that you might wanna try using it with a quality oil and ETH free gas... a good inline fuel filter be good too... clean plugs go a long way too...
Omc had a decarbing spray back then to get carbs clean... might be an option to get carbs cleaned out... seafoam and merc #2 might be a help...
My engine problem back then with omc was heat soak in the summer...
Lake here in NY has a 40hp limit... whole bunch of 70s-early 90's motors go in evey day...

Late response but..

I bought a 1985 70HP with VRO that went out and scored the cylinders. I had a sleeve put in one cylinder and the other two just oversized. After that incident I bypassed the VRO and mixed my own. That was 20 years ago. The motor still runs like a top to this day and I don't have to worry about the catastrophe of running straight gas.

The VRO was updated over the years to handle alcohol in fuel. You can buy rebuild kits. It is a fuel pump too. On my 140 rude it works as a fuel pump. If you premix you might need to keep the VRO as a fuel pump and fool the engine it is getting oil? There is information out there to do this. Not having

Had to rebuild my 1991 Johnson 140 looper. VRO failed and burned a piston. The dealer eliminated the VRO and been premixing since.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Had to rebuild my 1991 Johnson 140 looper. VRO failed and burned a piston. The dealer eliminated the VRO and been premixing since.
Does looper mean loop charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back