Wiper blades for 03 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a repeated topic but want to get ideas in case there are new players in this field and you guys have experience with them:

I seem to have a hard time finding decent, chatter-free wiper blades for the beater 2003 Elantra, which I will use heavily in the winter. It is also parked outside 24x7.

The current pair (Rain-X weatherbeater) I have is not THAT old but chatters (GRATES) like crazy and it's LOUD, no matter how wet the windshield, and it's CONSTANT.

I have tried different brands in the past, Valeo, Bosch Icon, RainX weatherbeater, Trico etc. It seems something (perhaps the shape of the windshield) is VERY picky with wipers on this car, as I only have vague memories of anything but OEM being good when we first bought the car. The windshield IS old but is kept clean by claying, etc.

Seems like the best memories are with the Bosch or OEM Hyundai... But there has to be something that's a bit cheaper, and still offer normal performance...

Who makes Hyundai OEM blades? Just Hyundai? Can't find any info online...

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thsnks much in advance..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Ah ! Thanks again
I think rock auto carries Denso...

Yeah, they're sometimes sold under the Denso Designer line. They cost about the same as Bosch Icons though, and I am not sure if they are refillable.

I usually go for Factory OE blades (not the OE value-line stuff) but recently I had to work on three cars where OE was not in the budget, so I opted for Bosch Icons for those cars. They supposedly changed the material on Bosch Icons recently where they now last significantly longer than before.

I just bought some Bosch Icons for a 2014 Seirra truck. I waited long as I could with the crummy factory blades. I'll put them on later today.

Not sure what they may have for your vehicle. Net reviews are pretty good.

I also got the new improved version of Bosch Icons and installed them 2 days ago. Haven't really experienced any rain after installing, so will update on how they perform.
But even when dry, them seem to be very quiet and chatter free on an old windshield.

#1 cause of chatter is a dirty, contaminated windshield.

Have you thoroughly cleaned it (#0000 steel wool, clay bar, etc.)?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I usually go for Factory OE blades (not the OE value-line stuff) but recently I had to work on three cars where OE was not in the budget, so I opted for Bosch Icons for those cars. They supposedly changed the material on Bosch Icons recently where they now last significantly longer than before.

Bosch and Trico are the only mass-market blades I will buy. I've been happy with Valeo 600 series, Valeo did buy out SWF a while ago - the latter supplied Mercedes, BMW and VW. Obviously the aftermarket line will be different.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

#1 cause of chatter is a dirty, contaminated windshield.

Have you thoroughly cleaned it (#0000 steel wool, clay bar, etc.)?

No steal wool, but I had polished with car polish, clayed, and waxed it.
Like I said, the rain-x wipers chattered from start. Bosch not so. So I really think the rain-x set was defect or the weather beater line is just plain bad.

We are getting some rain tomorrow. Will update again on how the Bosch does. I know it's new, but the comparison is not really unfair, as the Rain-x set I had chattered bad with the 1st rain it encountered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back