Questions about orbital buffing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a orbital buffer and used a microfiber pad on it with meguairs ultimate compound and was just wondering if its was safe on my clear coat? Some areas the scratches were deep so i had to keep the buffer spinning in those spots longer in order for them to come out is that ok or is it possible i damaged the clear coat? The buffer states its a lightweight design for easier waxing as well as polishing, a random orbit polishing movement that provides a swirl-free finish preventing hot spots.

+1 above... things have changed/advanced and gotten cheaper. If it's not too late to return, I'd get the $50 retail Meguiars Power DA drill attachment. Keep the compound, in fact buy the kit that comes with ultimate compound, you'll get the matching pad.

If you can't return it, then start by hand on a small area of the scratch. I believe you'll want ~7lbs of pressure. You can ballpark guage that by pushing your hand on the bathroom scale. Depending on the scratch, if it's deep enough then instead of focusing on removal, you may want to just make it look better by scuffing off the edges.... again, done by hand.

Last edited:
The orbital are really just a quicker way to apply than by hand not as effective but safer if your worried or unskilled using a directional. Also compounding is best used with wool and staying in one spot can burn the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back