How to get rid of smoke smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me truck....

Bit of a smoke smell (and air freshener).

Any tips? I was thinking dump a pile of vinegar on seats or carpet and leave the windows open for a few days.

Meguairs makes these frogger style air freshener/deodorizer that you set off in the car and turn the air/a.c. to max. I set one off in my wife's car a few months back as I don't smoke and she wanted to replace it. The smell was very present.

Anyways I used the "new car smell" it had a sleight chemical smell at first but when away after a few hours.

The where very strong and it worked well. We only had the car for about 3 days afterwords but I wasnt able to smell the smoke again. I don't know how long they last but certain if you get 1 and set it off it will make a noticeable difference.

Maybe try a second one a month later to get it really good it seemed to work well for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G16402-Whole-Refresher-Eliminator/dp/B00G49DVGG

Last edited:
Odo-Ban is a great product. I was skeptical at first but it far exceeded my expectations. Buy the concentrate and mix into a 2 gal. pump up poly sprayer, and mist the entire interior. Leave windows down on a sunny day to dry.

You won't need to "rewire" anything, LOL.

http://www.odoban.com/

I've had luck nearly filling a car with baking soda for a couple days. Carpet, seats, everywhere. (about 3 boxes worth) After that, clean out the baking soda. The smell was greatly reduced.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It soaks into the wiring insulation. You'll never get it out unless you re-wire the whole car.

Nope can be dealt with...

I own one that was smoked in... With a good scrub down, lots of Fabreez, setting in sun with windows open and a pole fan blowing through window, all traces are gone... Admittedly didn't happen over night but after maybe six weeks and a few green trees it was gone... Had the car almost six years now, never any sign of it...

The electric ozone generators are said to do a good job...

Febreez was discovered by a chemist who smoked like a chimney and one day his clothes didn't stink anymore....according to his wife.

Febreez. Final Answer.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Odo-Ban is a great product. I was skeptical at first but it far exceeded my expectations. Buy the concentrate and mix into a 2 gal. pump up poly sprayer, and mist the entire interior. Leave windows down on a sunny day to dry.

You won't need to "rewire" anything, LOL.

http://www.odoban.com/

You beat me to it! OdoBan even elimates pet odors. It's good and economical to use. It's like simple green - dilute as you need it.

Agree with mentioned item but also coffee beans.
Used in a car previously. Use cheap whole beans inside a contained with openings. Great long term solution. Slower than the baking soda but less messy. Keep it in there long term to continue trapping the smoke smell after cleaning

Keep at it. The results will come with some time and effort. It's a disgusting smell and worth the effort to get rid of it.

Make sure you attack the crevices, under the dash and the headliner along with the visors.

I have purchased a few of these stinky cars that I fixed up for sale. It took Febreze, warm soap and water and powdered laundry detergent with a brush.

Charcoal and lots of cleaning.

When I bought the Cherokee it was previously owned by a chain smoker. I had to clean out the HAVC and leave charcoal in it.

Extractor on the upholstery and carpets (I have pets, so I just use a Bissell http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-SpotClean-Professional-Portable-3624/dp/B008DBRFBK )

That should get most of the smell out. You can use odoban in the cleaner, that stuff is cheap and works well! I usually use the carpet cleaner solution from Smart & Final in the cleaner though.

After doing that, use this Ozium ( http://www.amazon.com/Glycol-Ized-Profes...;keywords=ozium ) which I think is actually cheaper at walmart. A little can of this lasts a while. But start the car, run max a/c recirculating with all the windows up. Spray a good 5 seconds all around inside the car, but don't breathe it. Close the door and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Roll down the windows and let it air out. I would bet you smell no more smoke odor.

Zorbx. It's non-toxic and fragrance-free. Get it at Amazon or zorbx.com

I bought a used car one time that had been driven by a smoker. He tried to do me a favor by taking it to a car wash and having it dipped in a vat of cherry car scent- but you could still smell the smoke underneath. It made me too sick to drive it.

We tried to get rid of that cherry smell with chlorine bombs, enzymatic cleaners, even paid a detailer $200 for an overnight ozone treatment. Nothing worked except Zorbx. Sprayed it into the upholstery, headliner, carpet, dash, doors, in the vents... In five minutes the fragrance and smoke smells were GONE. Left no fragrance behind. Saved my car. Best. Stuff. Ever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It soaks into the wiring insulation. You'll never get it out unless you re-wire the whole car.

Nope can be dealt with...

I own one that was smoked in... With a good scrub down, lots of Fabreez, setting in sun with windows open and a pole fan blowing through window, all traces are gone... Admittedly didn't happen over night but after maybe six weeks and a few green trees it was gone... Had the car almost six years now, never any sign of it...

The electric ozone generators are said to do a good job...

Same experience here. Time plus a little bit of initial help.

27.gif
simple fix would be to start smoking
27.gif

Biocide Auto Shocker (chlorine dioxide) is amazing. I am a used car dealer and this product has completely eliminated smoke odor in many smoker cars. I actually look for smoker cars that others avoid, buy them cheap and treat them with this product.

This is proof that some humans can learn to put up with something that smells that terrible and not vomit.

Instead of trying to invent a fake cigarette that won't kill the smoker as quick as tobacco they should invent a cigarette that's smell left behind on a smoker won't knock a buzzard of a [censored] wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back