Venison

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Was at the butcher today and 'tis that time of year. I have three packs of sausage as well as a number of ground to make burgers with. Looking forward to making some onion and venison patties.

The sausages were sublime, I had some for dinner tonight.

Did I mention I like venison?
grin.gif

He also has Elk and Bison but I can get that pretty much year round.

Venison, Elk and Bison is real good Moose is tasty as well. I do not care for bear meat though.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Beef tastes better.

I can get beef any time. I prefer venison, when I can get it. I've got some Wellington's on order from him that I'm picking up Friday too. I definitely am a big fan of beef, I cook plenty of steak during the summer. But when I can get venison, I make an effort to do so.

I love game meat. Venison and boar, mostly. Marinated for a few days in a good dry red wine and spices like allspice, thyme, rosmary, laurel leaves, juniper berries, pepper. Baste and roast. Eat with a good cream sauce and cranberries, wild rice and or potatoes.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I love game meat. Venison and boar, mostly. Marinated for a few days in a good dry red wine and spices like allspice, thyme, rosmary, laurel leaves, juniper berries, pepper. Baste and roast. Eat with a good cream sauce and cranberries, wild rice and or potatoes.
20.gif

thumbsup2.gif
You are making me drool over here, LOL!

My daughters and wife get mad at me if I run out of wild game so I have make sure that the freezer is well stocked at all times. Good thing my buddy is a taxidermist.

Yesterday I spent the whole day at his shop helping him cape deer since he is his busy season. Two guys brought in Deer, a shoulder mount and a full body mount but didn't want the meat.

If they don't want it I sure as heck will take it So I ended up butchering those deer and taking them home with me last night.

Looks like it will be backstraps instead of Turkey for Thanksgiving this year.

Went camping with a group of friends and two of them showed up about an hour late, said they stopped off at a local market to pick up some cheap steaks to grill. They set up the grill and started cooking while I set up camp, we sat down to eat and they put a big steak on my plate. Looked great, very lean, no fat.... I took a couple bites and said "No offense boys, but this is the worst steak I've ever had. Anyone want this?" They all started to chuckle and my friend said "Its venison from the deer I took a couple weeks ago". Maybe its an acquired taste? It just did not taste good to me. I would expect it to be different from beef, but this was different in a not-good way. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
snip Two guys brought in Deer, a shoulder mount and a full body mount but didn't want the meat.

If they don't want it I sure as heck will take it So I ended up butchering those deer and taking them home with me last night.snip

What a waste of a good deer by them, but lucky you.

Shoot to eat, not shoot to trophy.

I thought you would've got your own with that fancy rifle of yours! Park yourself on a hill somewhere and wait for a buck to come within a 1000 yrds!
wink.gif
I was looking through the Remington ballistics charts last night and that lupua is quite impressive. Still more energy at 400yrds than my 20g at the barrel!
I got my deer last Thursday with the slug gun, a big doe that has been trimming our fruit bushes all summer. Tastes pretty good so far, we've had the tenderloin and ground some up.
I don't think I would pass on a big old buck, but I like eating does and fawns a lot more. I think that's the problem people have with many game meats, is that often they are eating the old males. If you were eating 6 year old bulls, boars, roosters, rams, etc. lots of people would find them tough and gamey too. And if you like your meat "well done" you just make it tougher again.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I wish venison did not have such a sweet greasy flavor. I guess i am conditioned for a deeper more "savory" flavor. I've tried several times unfortunately. This dog is too old.

It really depends on where the deer are and what they eat. This stuff isn't sweet and greasy at all. It is tender and just a beautiful flavour.

I know the ones shot near where my buddy's dad lives are all grain fed (because he feeds them). They are absolutely delicious.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I thought you would've got your own with that fancy rifle of yours! Park yourself on a hill somewhere and wait for a buck to come within a 1000 yrds!
wink.gif
I was looking through the Remington ballistics charts last night and that lupua is quite impressive. Still more energy at 400yrds than my 20g at the barrel!
I got my deer last Thursday with the slug gun, a big doe that has been trimming our fruit bushes all summer. Tastes pretty good so far, we've had the tenderloin and ground some up.
I don't think I would pass on a big old buck, but I like eating does and fawns a lot more. I think that's the problem people have with many game meats, is that often they are eating the old males. If you were eating 6 year old bulls, boars, roosters, rams, etc. lots of people would find them tough and gamey too. And if you like your meat "well done" you just make it tougher again.

My wife won't let me hunt deer
frown.gif
She's got some hang-up on it. I would love to go out to where my buddy's dad hunts, the deer there are incredible. The .308 would be perfect for deer, and that's what I had originally bought the .270 for.

I'm wearing her down, hopefully be able to go next year
wink.gif

Never had Elk or Moose before. I do like deer and buffalo though. I prefer it all be made into burger though.

Is it legal to sell wild game up in Canada? In Indiana, wild game isn't (legally) for sale.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Beef tastes better.

I just had Elk for the first time this weekend. It was the hunter's 29th of 29 North American big game species taken.

Very lean with no real marbling, but absolutely delicious just slightly seasoned and marinaded, then cooked over charcoal.

BD7BAE2D-CF22-4086-A9B2-2AF088F2119C_zpsi4267kb3.jpg

381E4408-96F2-4A0B-8973-06B31D090A45_zpspufbmrwa.jpg

AEE0A11F-E991-42AD-B8E3-33070196888C_zpsav5veqgo.jpg

Absolutely delicious, and Id eat this over beef any day.

The only beef Id take first is the 75 day salt aged at David Burke's in Chicago...

I saw bear mentioned a couple of times. I've never had bear meat and don't think it's something I want to try, although I'm sure someone will say it's delicious.

I like venison, but don't hunt. But, when I try to trade some pasture raised lamb or goat meat for some venison, they look at me like I'm trying to give them Komodo dragon meat. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back