does left over coolant have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 1/2 gallon of mopar coolant. I believe it's straight coolant G-05 type. Does this have a shelf life? It's from 2011.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I have about 1/2 gallon of mopar coolant. I believe it's straight coolant G-05 type. Does this have a shelf life? It's from 2011.

I had about half a gallon left over from about the same age, maybe a little older. I needed a slight amount for a top off in my Liberty. I decided to Miti-Vac out the contents of the overflow tank and mixed it 60/40 with distilled water instead of topping it off. I'd use it w/o hesitation.

Its an interesting question of how long the inhibitors last in undiluted, metal-free state.

Personally, I figure if its any older than the allowable service calendar life of the coolant, I toss it. IOW, if it is 5 year coolant, if unused but 5 years old, Ill toss it. Of course that's not hard and fast, and I might err on the side of caution too... But I figure I don't want oo old of coolant to be in the system at end of its life...

I have been using the "left over" 1/2 gallon of coolant that sat in the garage for 2 years with my refill gallon for 30 years...no corroded overheating engines yet

21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Its an interesting question of how long the inhibitors last in undiluted, metal-free state.

Personally, I figure if its any older than the allowable service calendar life of the coolant, I toss it. IOW, if it is 5 year coolant, if unused but 5 years old, Ill toss it. Of course that's not hard and fast, and I might err on the side of caution too... But I figure I don't want oo old of coolant to be in the system at end of its life...

Nice thought!

Now we must now wonder will it preserve (or keep) better as a concentrate or should we pre-dilute it before storing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back