1990 Evinrude 140 looper - Outboard Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, if there is a OMC tech that can help? I would like to know what you think a good idle speed and ignition timing would be for a healthy 1990 140 looper? Shop manual recommends 600-800 in gear on the water at 8 degrees BTD. So, in a barrel in neutral might be what?

I have a 91 looper 140. I keep mine at 1100rpm in neutral. It goes down to 1000rpm in gear. I believe it's supposed to be 900 rpm in neutral according to the manual. Mine has a bit of a lean miss in neutral, so it will stall out if you set it at the recommended 7-800rpm. Make sure the engine is warmed up all the way before you adjust it otherwise, it's going to be too low come summertime. Everytime I bring my outboard into the dealer they set the rpm even when it is completely unrelated to what they're doing and they never let it warm up so I've called and yelled at them at least 3 times now. I think they know to not adjust the rpm anymore. lol

Does yours have a lean miss in neutral? I've heard this is common and it's just kind of what they do. It goes away if you run it hard, but I don't run mine that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back