Going to see a man about a horse (05 SV650s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
8700 miles on this horse and a few add-ons. The bike has new (August 2015) tires and a set of LED blinkers. Also a few other tasteful additions.

Anything to look at in particular? I'm looking for something similar in riding hight and comfort to a recent bike rental (2015 CB500FA). How will this bike compare? are they easy to maintain? reliable?

thanks in advance

SV650s of that era will be a bit taller than the CB500 you rented.

Other than that, they are as reliable as the proverbial anvil, are a joy to ride, and relatively easy to maintain. If you can get your feet down, it is an excellent choice. If you can't.......Shortening the saddle is an option, as is shortening the suspension. Good luck.

Quote:
Going to see a man about a horse

Have you relieved yourself yet?
laugh.gif

On the S, you'll be bent over with pressure on your wrists. Only you can determine if it's right for you. Risers are possible using a set of bars from a Honda Hawk. The engine is bulletproof. You will want to get a Bales Engineering stud for the first oil change. Suzuki uses their own thread size on the oil filter. Substituting the Bales adapter and you move to the common Honda thread with filters everywhere, including the common ST/PH/XX7317. There is plenty of room for a ScottOiler for the chain, I highly recommend them. The engine isn't picky about fuel or oil, and the bike will take you anywhere you want to go.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Quote:
Going to see a man about a horse

Have you relieved yourself yet?
laugh.gif

confused.gif

I buy my Suzuki oil filters in quantity from Bike Bandit on line when they go on sale, less than 5 bucks each. Their house brand suzuki o/f appears to be a private labeled Hiflo filter.

Great engine, well balanced, light, easy and a pure joy to ride. Riser bars will help if you're not a fan of leaning forward. There's a huge sv community to support you. Please update with picks!

Put just short of 50k milkes on an 07' before I sold it with zero problems. Like everyone else said, they are pretty bullit proof motors and you'll love the torque!!!! It'll be a nice surprise after test riding a 500. Very easy to work on and maintain. Oil was changed every 3k miles religiously.

Good luck! Post pics if you buy her!

I own a SV1000s. In essence, the same bike with bigger cylinders.

I hated it at first. It was very uncomfortable.

I tried "convertabars" and they were awful. Still too low, too close, and too far forward. Even with all that "adjustment" ability, I could not get comfortable.

Then I installed "superbike" style bars directly on the upper "triple clamp". Using angled risers. Ahhhhhh, WAY better.

Not my bike. The risers I installed are even taller and angled back. It really needs it. Same basic bars though:

7861238868_022d630ac0_b.jpg

With the wider and taller bars really make the bike easy to toss around and much more responsive in the corners. Grabbing the "bull" by bigger horns, if you will.

I used 4 inch risers for a snowmobile. I simply drilled holes in the top tripleclamp to install. It was a reasonably easy task. With just a little modification.

Last edited:
if you willing to come to Chicago, IL to pick up a bike, i might have one for you.

Mint 2003 SV650N in blue.

Overall i love this bike. Easy to work on and mod to your likings. Simple bike that is pretty much problem free. People on SVrider.com are a great help.

There is no question that the "N" version is more comfortable than the "S".

However, once the "S" has the handlebar mod, it's really wonderful to ride. And, I feel, every bit as comfy.

Thanks for the help guys

Pulled the trigger on a well maintained 03 sv650s. I considered other bikes but decided on this one due to the maintenance and lack of mods. Paid a little more than I wanted, but it was all about the maintenance that sold me on it.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/mcy/5317900442.html

I take delivery tomorrow after work at noon.
Pretty excited since it's a very well reviewed and attractive bike
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back