K&N 33-2403

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 19,000 miles I replaced my original OEM air filter on my Acura TL 3.5L. So that I don't have to purchase a new air filter for the life of the car, I purchased a K&N drop in replacement air filter which I have now run in the car for 1,050 miles. Today I pulled the filter to do a white glove cleaning test in my air box. The air box and hosing going into the throttle body were spotless and in like new condition.

Many have complained that this air filter doesn't filter as good as a OEM filter or that there is a fine layer of dust/dirt inside of the air box leading to the throttle body and MAF sensor. After today's test, I am confident this filter is of quality and I will plan to use it for the life of this car.

Have anyone else had the same or a difference experience?

-George

Been running their fipk on the mustang for almost 50k, cleaned once long time ago. Downstream is fairly clean also. I plan to leave it "dirty" as the filter should be more effective loaded.

Sweet modification! Was your OE filter already plugged or was this 'upgrade' simply a proactive measure?

Oh and I'm assuming your '13 3.5L is/was still ostensibly covered under some American Honda Motor Company, Inc. powertrain warranty?

Same here, the ducts are spotless in both cars with oiled gauze, nor sand neither oil... I am content with K&N and also, the less costly blue competitor.

I think that why people are complaining of dirtiness after the filter is because they don't do the instructions properly when servicing the filter. If you do it right you won't have those issues. I have never had a problem with a K&N not filtering properly. The filter is very good quality and the idea is very genius IMO
smile.gif

It was a simple upgrade for the sake of not having to purchase a new filter, ever. Yes my TL is still under warranty and the sticker provided by K&N clearly states this product will NOT void the warranty.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Sweet modification! Was your OE filter already plugged or was this 'upgrade' simply a proactive measure?

Oh and I'm assuming your '13 3.5L is/was still ostensibly covered under some American Honda Motor Company, Inc. powertrain warranty?

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
...the sticker provided by K&N clearly states this product will NOT void the warranty.

All those economical cars in your garage and even your 3.5L need CoM assistance?
Best have your counsel review Honda's obligations and requirements with respect to what K&N "clearly states" before the fit hits the shan.
Just in case NOT happens.
smile.gif

I've got 30,000km on a K&N in my motorcycle, the intake is clean. There is hardly any dirt on it - maybe another 10 years before I even bother to clean it. That's the problem with K&N - too much cleaning, K&N says 50,000ml before cleaning.

UPDATE - Acura TL has 3,500 miles on the K&N drop in air filter. Today I pulled it out to do a white cloth wipe on the inside of the intake system just in front and around the MAF sensor. After wiping the area for 45 seconds and looking closely at the cloth it was perfectly clean, there wasn't any dust, grit, film at all. I inspected the air filter closely and the underside facing the air intake duct and it was dirty, which means it is doing its job. I'm still confident this filter is a good product. I will check one final time at 10K miles. Later this spring we are going to add a 2016 Toyota 4Runner to our stable and at this point, I'm confident that we will be installing a K&N drop in on that vehicle as well.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Same here, the ducts are spotless in both cars with oiled gauze, nor sand neither oil... I am content with K&N and also, the less costly blue competitor.

+1

The lack of filtering efficiency and low dirt-loading capacity has been documented in one independent test after another.

Whatever you tell yourself to sleep at night.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Porsche probably missed these "independent test" while installing this technology as OE in their most expensive vehicles that have significant sales in the middle east.

http://www.bmcairfilter.com.au/porsche-918-spyder-assembly-line/

I'm sorry, did you make the mistake of believing that when Porsche makes a top-shelf supercar that they aim for durability over obtaining the last percentile of performance?

The BMC air filters are well known to the Porsche community. Lot of people have thrown their $1300 kits away after discovering how poorly they filtered, and gone back to stock.

This, of course, is fine for a class of car where components are ridiculously expensive and don't last anyway. Anyone who owned the previous halo car Carrera GT for 30k miles bought 3 sets of tires at $10k a set, and at least one clutch at $30k + install.

BMC filters, like the 918, were built to excel at track duty.

They might sell them in the Middle East, but nobody is taking their million dollar sportscar for a drive in the middle of a haboob. They spend most of their time trading between exotic car dealers, sitting in collections, occasional track days, and occasional pleasure drives, and shows.

DoubleWasp, my intentions have never been to say K&N filters better. To the contrary. But the demonization of this brand and technology has also gone way overboard with the characterization of them being "rock catchers".

The demonizing began with K&N inappropriately marketing their technology as a replacement for drop-in filters. There's nothing to be had in terms of airflow, while the stock intake tract remains.

Cotton-gauze can't touch cellulose media in terms of efficiency. This is not only a fact in engine air filters. It's a fact of air filtration, period. ISO testing has shown this again, and again.

K&N makes a lot of good products for certain applications. They also make a lot of products for incorrect applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back