Ughh Winter Tires! Pirelli, Continental or Gislave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after 3 seasons I need to replace my Dunlop Winters. I've spent the last week and a half researching, pricing, and then researching some more ([censored] there's a lot of tires). I've settled on four tires that meet my budget and have good reviews.

Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR's
Pirelli Winter IceControl
Continental WinterContact Si
Gislaved Nord*Frost 100

I'm trying to find the best bang for your buck tire that does well in the wet, deep snow, and ice out here in eastern Canada. MY previous Dunlop Graspic DS2's weren't very impressive from the start. So i'm hoping to do better this time.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Well after 3 seasons I need to replace my Dunlop Winters. I've spent the last week and a half researching, pricing, and then researching some more ([censored] there's a lot of tires). I've settled on four tires that meet my budget and have good reviews.

Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR's
Pirelli Winter IceControl
Continental WinterContact Si
Gislaved Nord*Frost 100

I'm trying to find the best bang for your buck tire that does well in the wet, deep snow, and ice out here in eastern Canada. MY previous Dunlop Graspic DS2's weren't very impressive from the start. So i'm hoping to do better this time.

My preference would be Continental. I had a lot of experience with their winter tires in Europe, and they are blast.
However, why not Bridgestone Blizzak? I have WS70 on wife's Tiguan, had Lm-60 on my previous car, VW CC, and I am expecting Blizzaks DM-V2 to be delivered to local DT this Thursday for bimmer. They are really good in deep snow, slush, ice and worst conditions you can imagine. Not as good as Michelin in dry.

I would love to get the blizzak but its not in my budget this year. I need something cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
I would love to get the blizzak but its not in my budget this year. I need something cheaper.

Continental IMO.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Nokian if you can find them in the US and you'll never buy another brand for winter tires.

They are so ridiculously expensive.
I was ordering tires last week at local DT, difference between Nokian H R2 and Blizzak DM-V2 was $190 per tire.
On top of that, I had once Nokian in Europe, proved very good in straight line, curves" Always chasing rear end.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Nokian if you can find them in the US and you'll never buy another brand for winter tires.

I was ordering tires last week at local DT, difference between Nokian H R2 and Blizzak DM-V2 was $190 per tire.
On top of that, I had once Nokian in Europe, proved very good in straight line, curves" Always chasing rear end.

190$ difference a pop??? What are you driving, a combine??? LOL

My guess is DT is not a discounter of nokian. I am quite fortunate to find two places within 1hr that are bare bones garages (no lifts) that sell nokian cheap. The price I pay installed is quite a bit less then what I see on DT.

What size did you end up going with?

When I was buying winter tires last year (235/60/18), the Nokians were only about $100-$150 more for a set of 4, compared to DM-V2.

DT will probably have a sale soon, at which point their Nokian prices might become a lot more attractive. But if you can't wait, then I understand.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I'd get Continental or General Tire (Continental) Altimax Arctic if they have the size you look for.

+1. See if anyone has leftover ExtremeWinterContact in your size. Tire Rack still shows a couple sizes discounted.

If budget is a concern, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the General Altimax Arctic.

If it's a question of not being able to find the exact size you want, there are likely options that would work for you without being an exact replacement.

The new Continental Wintercontact SIs seem to be doing quite well in tests. I'd take them over Blizzaks and as a lower cost alternative to Nokians. The previous ExteremeWinterContacts were well liked too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What size did you end up going with?

When I was buying winter tires last year (235/60/18), the Nokians were only about $100-$150 more for a set of 4, compared to DM-V2.

DT will probably have a sale soon, at which point their Nokian prices might become a lot more attractive. But if you can't wait, then I understand.

Well, due to BMWNA I ended up going with 255/55 R18. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 in that size is, watch this, $156!!!!
You cannot beat that deal. Nokian R2 were I think around $340 in that size.
I think for 235/60 R18 R2 were going for $212.
Plus I got $70 discount on DM-V2, so 4 alloy wheels, 4 TPMS sensors and 4 tires were around $1500 with tax and all B S that comes with installing tires.
Reason why not 235/60 R18 is that service advisor at BMW said: yeah I would run also 235/60 R18, BUT on my question about hypothetical situation where I come and warrant transfer case or one of differentials, he said: put 255/55 R18 during warranty and CPO, and then after go with 235/60. I do not think it would be an issue, but you know, do not want to joke around that.

Reason why not 235/60 R18 is that service advisor at BMW said: yeah I would run also 235/60 R18, BUT on my question about hypothetical situation where I come and warrant transfer case or one of differentials, he said: put 255/55 R18 during warranty and CPO, and then after go with 235/60. I do not think it would be an issue, but you know, do not want to joke around that.

There is only about 0.2% (not 2%) difference in circumference between the two sizes. I can't imagine how this would make any difference to your drivetrain. Even tire rack allows this size, and they are typically very cautious when it comes to recommending alternate sizes to keep you (and them) out of trouble.

But anyway, I understand why you want to play it safe and don't give them any reason to hassle you.

The 255/55/18 size has a slightly higher load rating, too, so maybe that's also part of the concern. Not sure what the minimum load rating is for your X5.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

There is only about 0.2% (not 2%) difference in circumference between the two sizes. I can't imagine how this would make any difference to your drivetrain. Even tire rack allows this size, and they are typically very cautious when it comes to recommending alternate sizes to keep you (and them) out of trouble.

But anyway, I understand why you want to play it safe and don't give them any reason to hassle you.

Yeah, I know all that, SA at BMW knows, but.....

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
If budget is a concern, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the General Altimax Arctic.

If it's a question of not being able to find the exact size you want, there are likely options that would work for you without being an exact replacement.

That's actually what i've been doing. My stock tire size is 215/55/16 and i've been running 205/60/16 and its usually a good 20-30 bucks (sometimes more) difference in price.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
The new Continental Wintercontact SIs seem to be doing quite well in tests. I'd take them over Blizzaks and as a lower cost alternative to Nokians. The previous ExteremeWinterContacts were well liked too.

I was looking at the Con EWC when I was shopping a few years ago, too bad I didn't buy them then over my dunlops. The new WC Si's seen to be very good too, only thing is they are one directional so if there is uneven wear my options are limited and apparently from some of the reviews i've seen the tread depth is smaller compared with the EWC. The EWC started at 12/32nd while the WC Si's start at 10/32. Not sure what the wear rate is on the Cons. I know the Blizzaks after 2 seasons are not the same.

Last edited:
Actually just found a tire shop thats has a deal on X-ice3's that are $40 more than the Con and Pirelli I listed. FRom what I've read on tirerack and elsewhere they're right up there with the Blizzaks and nokians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back