Piston prop air cooled oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I have a few ounces from an old quart of Mobil1 tri-synthetic formula SJ. Just thought I would share.

As for airplane, I got the Aeroshell 100 straight mineral grade for aircraft piston engines SAE50. Looks old, made in Canada!

I use W65 in the planes all year. My UOA wear numbers are lower than they ever were with W80 or any 50wt (light weight grease) oil.

Larry: thank you for posting the viscosity list of the Aeroshell oils.

Dave

Originally Posted By: DrDave

Larry: thank you for posting the viscosity list of the Aeroshell oils.

Dave

You're welcome Dave...

Got this today from "Flying" email flyer. One more view of how to minimize corrosion in recips.

Vent the Engine
By Pia Bergqvist / Published: Oct 13, 2015
Related Tags: Tip of the Week, Technique
Tip Release Steam
Enlarge Photo
Are you in the category of pilots who park the airplane, lock it up and leave as soon as you land from a flight? You may want to take some time to hang out with your aerial chariot for a while after it gets you safely on the ground. Opening up the inspection door in the nose and removing the oil cap can prevent corrosion from building inside.

When the engine heats up, steam is created and gets trapped inside the oil tank. If the steam is allowed to fester there, it will eventually evaporate and can cause corrosion.

The corrosion is easily preventable by allowing the steam to release out of the tank. Leaving the oil cap open for 30 minutes to an hour after the flight will do the trick.

So after you land and park the airplane, open up the oil cap, unload the airplane and spend some time cleaning the interior and wiping off the bugs on the wings and fuselage. By the time you are done, the steam should have evaporated from the oil tank and you can close the cap again.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Got this today from "Flying" email flyer. One more view of how to minimize corrosion in recips.

Vent the Engine
By Pia Bergqvist / Published: Oct 13, 2015
Related Tags: Tip of the Week, Technique
Tip Release Steam
Enlarge Photo
Are you in the category of pilots who park the airplane, lock it up and leave as soon as you land from a flight? You may want to take some time to hang out with your aerial chariot for a while after it gets you safely on the ground. Opening up the inspection door in the nose and removing the oil cap can prevent corrosion from building inside.

When the engine heats up, steam is created and gets trapped inside the oil tank. If the steam is allowed to fester there, it will eventually evaporate and can cause corrosion.

The corrosion is easily preventable by allowing the steam to release out of the tank. Leaving the oil cap open for 30 minutes to an hour after the flight will do the trick.

So after you land and park the airplane, open up the oil cap, unload the airplane and spend some time cleaning the interior and wiping off the bugs on the wings and fuselage. By the time you are done, the steam should have evaporated from the oil tank and you can close the cap again.

Nobody pounced on this before so forgive me for bumping it up however.....

I can say I never did what this editor is recommending and find the "...corrosion is easily preventable" statement strong enough to require contesting it. As we have seen in the earlier posts and actual practice, corrosion is a tough opponent and if it is indeed "easily preventable" then we should be able to extend drain intervals. No? Has anyone else done this thing with letting the oil "breathe" for a period after landing? I just find it odd that I have somehow missed this pearl of wisdom over the years. Full disclosure - I haven't flown in just over ten years now so maybe I missed something.

It's an air cooled engine. They cool off fast. There won't be much heat left to evaporate any moisture after 30 mins.

Cam guard helps. It isn't cheap. Cheaper than a new engine.

After -20 I won't fly the Cessna but I'll pre heat it and warm it up. Everything gets coated in oil and the battery gets charged up.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
It's an air cooled engine. They cool off fast. There won't be much heat left to evaporate any moisture after 30

I think she was recommending taking off the cap immediately after shutdown. But you're right, the oil will be much cooled down from landing/taxi, etc.

It seems to me that after flying the aircraft, the oil would have gotten hot enough to evaporate all of the moisture in it.
Removing the fill cap (and these engines have wet sumps, not dry sump tanks) would accomplish nothing beyond letting cold, damp air and contaminants in. These engines have crankcase breathers as well, as they must, so it's not as though the moisture can't escape.
Bad idea.
"Flying" used to have some more knowledgeable writers than is now typical, although I still love reading most of those who write columns for the magazine and I still subscribe to it.

I noticed the difference too since Mac McClellen left when Bonnier bought it. Whole new show, less page count, less what I would call technical/flight test. Like you, I still enjoy the columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back