Rotella t6 vs castrol 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using rotella but I'm wondering if it would be a better choice to run an approved pcmo instead of diesel? Nothing wrong with rotella. Seems to work good in my twin turbo car but with the ny winter coming and an oil change due I figured I'd ask the question. Which one is better in what areas?

Doubt that the TBN is gonna be much of a concern for him, but stand to be corrected.

Assuming that you are referring to your forum name as to what you are driving? If so, I would be inclined to get a UOA done on the T6 & see just where you stand on the application. If you are doing standard service intervals, T6 is likely fine. If it were my S4, well, I'd send off a used oil sample of the T6 for an analysis. Post it here - there is a heckuva lot of expertise lurking around our section of the Interwebs...

John.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Rotella T6 is an "approved" PCMO as it is dual rated, API CJ-4 and SM.

Not exactly "approved" since his car calls for VW 502.00 oil.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Currently using rotella but I'm wondering if it would be a better choice to run an approved pcmo instead of diesel? Nothing wrong with rotella. Seems to work good in my twin turbo car but with the ny winter coming and an oil change due I figured I'd ask the question. Which one is better in what areas?

Castrol 0W40, no doubt.
T6 has much higher NOACK, 12.6% compare to 9.1%. 0W40 has much lower pour pint, higher flash point. 0W40 has lower cst, hence, it reaches operating temperature faster.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Rotella T6 is an "approved" PCMO as it is dual rated, API CJ-4 and SM.

Does not mean anything in Audi S4. What matters is VW502.00.
There are lots of oils that meet API Sm but would wreck havoc on 2.7T engine.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Alright I'll give the castrol a try. Thanks guys

Last time you asked that question, people already told you to go with Castrol, yet you ended up with Rotella anyway.
smile.gif

Well I found a post in the voa section where people were people were complaining about the thinner viscosity than castrol reports and people weren't too impressed there. So I wasnt sure if castrol is as good as other options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
0W40 has lower cst, hence, it reaches operating temperature faster.

How does that work seeing as the lower viscosity would have a lower internal friction under shear ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: edyvw
0W40 has lower cst, hence, it reaches operating temperature faster.

How does that work seeing as the lower viscosity would have a lower internal friction under shear ?

So your argument is that thicker W40 would warm up faster because it creates more friction under shear? Why not then using W50 in winter?

It isn't about choosing a winter viscosity to make something get heat faster. I'd choose what offers better cold cranking. A specific example may or may not warm up quicker due to frictional losses, but that's not something I'd consider terribly important.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It isn't about choosing a winter viscosity to make something get heat faster. I'd choose what offers better cold cranking. A specific example may or may not warm up quicker due to frictional losses, but that's not something I'd consider terribly important.

Of course cold ranking is most important in cold weather. I would always run 0W if it is available for my vehicle. I am running 0W40 for that reason in my wife's car. Unfortunately, 0W30 Castrol that meets BMW LL-04 is not available in the U.S., so have to stick with 5W30 grades.

I mean, what I'm saying is that I don't worry about how fast an oil heats up, or concern myself about its operational viscosity when making an oil choice. I'd have the HTHS value already in mind and then choose the 5w- or 0w- or whatever based upon the climate. Whatever oil warms up faster isn't really a concern.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I mean, what I'm saying is that I don't worry about how fast an oil heats up, or concern myself about its operational viscosity when making an oil choice. I'd have the HTHS value already in mind and then choose the 5w- or 0w- or whatever based upon the climate. Whatever oil warms up faster isn't really a concern.

I know, get your point. I was just throwing that in. Not on my list of priorities either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back