what is a safe oil op temp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
That could happen under agricultural conditions, but my dad warned me about that as soon as I started using the equipment. But, there, at least it's feasible to be running at full load and then immediately shutting off.

Correct, basically any off-road application one could have this scenario every day as engines are run at max rpm for hours on end. An inexperienced operator could shut it down for whatever reason and cause damage.

Our current Deere marine engines do have liquid cooled turbos, but previously we did have a 6v-92 in the fleet with twin turbo/blanketed non liquid cooled chargers where cool-down was mandatory. One scenario would be running at full load for 5 hours and come up an a tree in the middle of no where and have to cut power, it happens.

Well, I was going with the OP using a Cummins in his Pete. Didn't really target off road or marine use. There is always a scenario that we could throw up to justify a procedure. The OP might be wise to follow a proper cool down procedure if he ever enters his truck to a truck pull event and reaches the end of a run, which probably is not what he plans to use it for.

I don't know how others do it, but as someone who grew up on a family farm in the 60's and still lives on that farm now, we never just worked a tractor for hours on end, got to the end of a field and turned the key off. That would be pretty lame. But road vehicles are not farm tractors. I suppose it has been done by someone, but most folks with a commercial truck don't pull 80,000 lb up Cajon Pass on a hot day and just turn the motor off when they reach the top.

The point is that it can happen, and it's not like Cummins has never allowed an engine to be used in an agricultural application. No, the average turbo user, be it in a car or a truck or even an aircraft, is going to experience a cool down time just on the basis of normal operations before shut down, by landing and taxiing, or getting to the truck stop, or pulling into a residential neighborhood and into the garage.

But, when pulling the cultivator for five hours at full boost and I want to eat a sandwich or stretch my legs, I don't just throttle back, depress the clutch, and turn off the engine.

Like I stated, there is always a scenario that can be shown to justify a procedure. But the OP is not farming with his Pete. At least I have never seen a Pete used as a farm tractor. Did see an old Willy's Jeep that had a plow on the back one time!

Who goes from full boost of dead off... It just does not happen. You always get out of the throttle for a while...

I agree it's better to ease into parking/docking/or idling down end or field avenue and let it cool down.

The only time I ever saw an engine go from full to zero was when plowing and caught a pipeline. Stopped the tractor cold (D7 turbo'd) when the bottom plow hooked it (abandoned 6" gas pipe). Tossed the operator out of the seat and tore up equipment/hitch. But how often does that happen? And if it does, you got other issues than the turbo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back