Auto Insurance - Geico vs Progessive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through these posts, Erie sounds like it's worth a quote.

Those of you that have a homeowners State Farm policy: Have they offered you a policy without that wind and hail deductible that's a certain percentage of the dwelling limit?

Example: I pick a 1000 deductible, but the policy has a 3% wind and hail or named storm deductible. With a dwelling limit of 300k, a swift breeze sending a tree through my house suddenly brought my chosen 1000 deductible up to 9000.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Luckily you guys have State Farm, as I'm sure you know, Geico, Progressive etc. often times won't pay for blending.

It is a little comical fixing your own car in the body shop, my dad has done body work for over 28 years now, I occasionally go over to the shop he works at and help him out when they're really busy. My step-mom was in an accident and I got to fix her car, was a little funny. State Farm paid for all new OEM parts on her 6 year old Pontiac G6 and blended all over too. They didn't even bat an eye.

They usually only pay for blending on the area that was directly next to (within 1-2 feet) of the impact site

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I've never heard of Geico not paying for blending. They are the first to use used or aftermarket parts, but I've never heard they won't pay to blend adjacent panels.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah unfortunately a lot of cars I fixed at my dads body shop had Geico insurance, I'd put a fender on next to a faded one and told my dad about it and he said that's all they were willing to pay for.

Them and Progressive also usually don't pay for cleanup time, which is fixing the dents on used doors or fenders so the body guy fixes it for free.

My dad told me usually the insurance companies that pay out the best are State Farm, Farmers, American Family, and Liberty Mutual.
The companies that typically are cheapskates are Geico, Progressive, Allstate (my dad worked for Allstate too).

The answer to the OP's question is in this thread where I got the above quotes.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: cat843
I have had Geico for maybe 6 or 7 years. A couple of small claims and Geico has been fine. After 5 years you get an additional discount for 5 year good driver. And accident forgiveness.

A few months back Consumer Reports had a large article on auto insurance.

I've had Geico for almost a year; they beat out AAA on price. Then this summer I bashed my passenger-side rocker panel on a high curb, and put in a claim. No problems; I used my own body shop; my policy paid for a rental car.

We'll see if my premium goes up when I get my new bill in December, but for now, I think Geico is great.

I spoke too soon. Geico has jacked my rate by 66%!! Time to shop around.

Last edited:
Was a long time Allstate customer. Also a dumb insurance consumer and had no idea how badly they were overcharging me for years. Once I did my homework, they were not willing to work with me on the rates, so I moved on. Interestingly, so did my insurance agent not, not long after, as did many other allstate agents in this area. They were uncompetitive on rates and had a bad reputation on paying claims - homeowners and auto.

I've used Metlife and Travelers since then, no complaints with either. Currently a Travelers customer, but its a shopping year...

Been with State Farm since 1988 when I started driving. Yes, I paid my own insurance and have ever since.

No other company can touch their rates on me. I get some HUGE discounts from SF since I had 10+ years accident free, I am grandfathered in to their "no cancellation" program that is no longer available, I get multi-line discounts because of other cars/houses/etc., so and so forth.

Geico/progressive? I'd never consider them. Never.

I've been a long time State Farm customer. No complaints so far on auto rates, but my homeowners is getting out of control. Up 10% last year and up 11% for 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back