Nippon Max WZ332NM - 620sq in - diesel fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my 130k km service yesterday, and changed the fuel filter with 30,000km on it (should have done it last service, but not interested in getting covered in diesel).

Some of you might recall a thread I made some time ago where I fitted a regular marine filter as a pre-filter before the (expensive) Nissan item, but there was too much restriction, and I get IP noise on long climbs.

So I've been looking around for different filters, some not so impressed with.

Nissan's is a type of depth media, but a lot of the aftermarket are plain old pleated filters in an industrial looking can (e.g. Baldwin BF7532 is very unimpressive in that regard).

back at 100,000km, I was wandering through the parts places, trying to find a "depth" type media, and the titled Nippon Max (Wesfil) seemed to meet the bill.

So with 30,000km on it, 3,000 litres of diesel, 15 L of lightly used enfine oil, a few litres of biodiesel, some TCW3, and Morey's smoke killer (cetane improver), and a litre of liquimoly diesel treat (when I couldn't get moreys), I set to with the hacksaw.

The media is still pleated paper, but with a difference.
IMG_20151005_105334.jpg

4" of paper, folded in half lengthwise, wrapped around the centre tube, and glued along the free ends to form a seam. The diesel flows from the fold, up through the wrapped media.

And there's lots. I paced it out at 4m (I'm pretty accurate), but measured it anyway.
IMG_20151005_105306.jpg

All up, that's 0.4 square metres, or 620 square inches.

After 30,000km, and the junk I put through it (the engine oil was lightly used in my Caprice varnish endeavour), was interested in how quickly the circulating fuel polished the colour out of the fuel...there's pretty high recirculation on this apparently, so the filter polishes the fuel in the tank over time.

The fuel in the sediment bowl was pretty rank and cloudy, clean side obviously clean...and the media shows it.

IMG_20151005_105328.jpg

Impressions are that I'm comfortable with this filter, at about 1/3 of what Nissan want.

30,000km is a walk in the park (although I've never ever had water in the water trap, wet fuel would be different)

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
70% recirc is typical.

filter seems far from totally used to me.

agree totally...I tend to buy fuel from a limited number of places, and have never had a bad batch...used engine oil included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back