Allergic reactions to lead, copper, and brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any known/common skin allergies to copper, brass, lead, etc... stuff associated with firing rifle bullets outdoors and possibly cleaning the rifles?

I work with cars on an almost daily basis and never have any weird skin reactions to car stuff (anti-freeze, brake fluid, engine oil, gear oil, ATF, brake dust, etc...) and I'm an electrical engineer by trade so I'm in contact with solder, copper wiring, etc...

But I've started to develop some weird skin rashes. I've tried to pinpoint what exactly causes it, and it's either food that I've eaten on a regular basis for 20+ years... or its something new that was recently introduced (my rifle collection).

Don't know about rifles, but my wife and oldest daughter are allergic to many types of metals used in earings except 14c gold. Yes those metals can cause reactions. And sometimes a change in laundry detergent can cause a reaction for some people. When I went through my retirement physical I was given Iodine for a test and went back to work and when I got home my wife told me I was having an allergic reaction and had to go back to the emergency room for treatment.

[ December 17, 2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: oldman ]

It might help us if you were to tell us where you get those rashes, and what type of rash. Red, dry, flakey skin, or raised bumps, possibly fluid-filled blisters, or pustules?

If your gun is nickel-plated, it might be a source for your problem, as nickel allergies are common. Even steel contains nickel. I can't wear steel watches or watchbands for that reason.

I have a friend who developed a rash on her hands. She tried to figure out what she had changed to cause this rash (hand soap, dish soap, etc...). Finally, she determind that it was a new brand of toilet paper. When she told me this, my immediate question was "And you only hand a rash on your hands?!?"

My point being is that it isn't always the obvious things.

I am getting rashes on the back of my hands in small patches that are raised and filled with a clear fluid. It is red, not flaky, and the itchiest parts are around my abdomen. They're filled with a clear fluid and not yellow puss. I have no history of STDs. The first signs of some type of reaction were a rash on my upper and lower lips (same raised bumps filled with clear fluid).

I thought it might be a reaction to nuts or something, but I thought it might be a reaction to gunpowder from the rifle range or something growing in the sandbags at the range.

Most of it is concentrated on the back of the hand, the inside of my wrists, in the armpit area, and now around my abdomen. Some of it is in the back of my knee joints too.

There's a bigger concentration in the armpit area.

I went to a dermatologist and took some antibiotics which helped stop the swelling and growth. But now it's starting to grow raised bumps (rather than a large patch) the size of a pore.

If I scratch it, water will come out and eventually it will scab up and the rash goes away leaving a slight blemish that goes away.

The rifles are:
Vepr K (steel stamped, russian made, all steel + plastic)
AR-15 (aluminum receivers, plastic furniture, steel barrel).

mags: parkerized steel AK and AR mags, aluminum AR mags, polymer AK mags.

Ammo used: steel cased Wolf (SP, FMJ, HP) with either lacquer coated cases or polymer coated steel. Lake City XM193 (copper jacketed, brass cased).

Cleaning solutions that I am now using: Breakfree CLP. I used to use ATF and ammonia for the bore.

Since you are an electrical engineer, my thinking would be more along the lines of mercury exposure. Mercury and some other heavy metals are sensitizers, and can cause your body to have allergic reactions to other metals.

In firearms, you have copper/lead from the bullets and lead from primers. Gunpowder is primarally nitrocellulose and should not cause any problems. Cleaning solvents could be a problem if you are allergic to them.

If it is a heavy metal allergy, you can get away from lead completely and still use your firearms by loading your own ammunition. I do believe that there are lead free primers and there are lead free bullets (Barns X, etc).

Where we work, mercury is pretty much banned... I'm not sure where else we can find it.

I think it could be the primers and the bullets. I'm probably exposed to it big time while cleaning the rifles.

Is there anything I can use to clean off lead/get it off my hands/fabrics?

I would suggest getting a test to determine what you are allergic to. Most times they put serums on your back in rows and then monitor the ones that show a reaction. If you start to have problems breathing go straight to the emergency room. Can you wear gloves when working with the materials?

My allergic reactions, so far, have been limited to dermatitis.

I can wear latex gloves but I think they also cause a skin reaction if I wear them too long (sweat + latex powder causes some pores to swell up). I can wear liners + the latex gloves.

The last time I was at the emergency room a nurse had non latex gloves because they are finding out some workers are developing reactions to latex as well. The non latex gloves may be a better solution.

Contact with uncured urethane resins gives me a rash similar to the one metroplex describes: small blisters filled with clear fluid and some redness. Hydro cortisone cream (Cortaid) works well in my case and experience, anthistamines work only when taken orally, and not necessarily on contact dermatitis.

Most important is to avoid contact with the allergen. Good luck finding the source, it can be tough.

About the gloves: latex allergies are common. There are polurethane and polyvinyl gloves available as alternatives.

I guess anything is possible in a particular person even at low levels, but think even very heavy firing of the rounds you mention would cause very minor transfer of lead/copper/brass to your system. As these rounds are fully jacketed or nearly so, your exposure to lead is pretty much limited to whatever small residue is on the outside from manufacture, as realistically the only way to get lead from them otherwise is the amount of vaporized lead from the bottom of some bullets when they are fired (generally FMJ only due to the way they are made). I guess you would be much more in contact with your cleaning solution and the copper and powder by-products dissolved or suspended in it when cleaning. I think most of the lead problems come from people who either shoot a whole lot at old, unventilated indoor ranges or cast/load lead bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back