06 TSX Valve Train-GC 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
120K Miles recently switched to BC 0W-40. OCI every 4-5000 miles.
004_zpswbwpduob.jpg
[/URL][/img]
005_zps1uypndgd.jpg
[/img]
007_zpsbcyurqjj.jpg
[/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:right]http://[/img]

Last edited:
Well done. The visible wear evidence on the cam lobes looks exactly like every other K24 engine (and like most all roller cams). It looks "blue" like it's overheated, but I think that's just how it looks as it wears.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Well done. The visible wear evidence on the cam lobes looks exactly like every other K24 engine (and like most all roller cams). It looks "blue" like it's overheated, but I think that's just how it looks as it wears.

I know, I freaked the first time I looked down the fill cap with a flashlight and saw the cam.

My old Accords do not wear like that. They must use better parts.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Any reason you switched to a 40 wt oil? Does it play nice with the VTEC?

The 30WT and 40WT are very close in terms of thickness because the 40WT is on the thin side of the scale. The 40WT has better deposit control and may be easier on the CAT. Plus the 40WT is now Made in Germany.
I have never had any issues with VTEC operation? Hondas seem to like thicher oil in general.

IMHO Castrol's A3 oils are the best oil in their class. I run their 0w-40 in both my Ecoboost engines and I'm sure that if I were to pull the valve covers off either one of them they would look similar to these. I used GC and later Edge 0w-40 in my M54 and at over 100k it was spotless. Nice pictures! Thanks !

Did you clean the valve cover before taking the photo? jk

If not, I am going to switch to GC 0W40. lol

You only recently switched to Castrol 0w-40, so what oil was in it since new? Whatever it is, it kept it clean. Thanks for the pictures, just amazing to look at.

On an older vehicle especially, going to a slightly thicker oil, and one like that which meets higher Euro specs, is smart. You could choose Castrol Ext Perf gold jug if you want, but you're fine with 0w-40 with the tougher LL-01, etc. specs.

He said it lived most of it's life on GC 0w30 thus the thread title. The 0w40 he switched to is very similar to the older 0w30 just a gnat hair thicker.

Top quality synthetic and short OCI's this is what you get.

Wow. Not only does the valvetrain look virtually new, everything around it does as well. Not a speck of rust on the exhaust manifold or intake. Cars live a good life in SoCal!

Did you check/adjust the valves?

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Wow. Not only does the valvetrain look virtually new, everything around it does as well. Not a speck of rust on the exhaust manifold or intake. Cars live a good life in SoCal!

Did you check/adjust the valves?

I had a slight seep of oil from the valve cover gasket that was burning off at the top of the exhaust manifold. I just wanted installed a valve cover Kit I ordered last year that was sitting around. The tube seals were a bear to replace.
The Books states to only adjust the valves if you have any loud tapping. I debated it and decided to leave them alone. I do feel a little guilty not adjusting them? maybe at 150K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back