2012 Dodge Journey - Battery Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I need your gut-feel diagnosis of a problem with my girlfriend's 2012 Dodge Journey.

The battery light came on a couple of week ago. At the next start, it was off. The light came back on yesterday and was showing itself quite a bit today. It'd be off upon start but would come on while driving.

On her way over earlier, the light came on and then a short time later the vehicle freaked out and she had to pull into a parking lot where it wouldn't restart.

She bought it CPO back in June. I haven't had a chance to look, but I'd be willing to bet that it's the original battery. Think it just needs a new one?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter.

Usually alternator problems will show up while driving. And usually battery problems will show up at startup.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Battery is 4 years old, buy a new one before she gets stranded.

+1

Existing problen is likely loose battery cables. A new battery is prudent for the upcoming Michigan winter. Also, pull the lid off the fuse panel boxes and push each fuse in tightly.

Retighten battery tie-down clamp and cables a week or two after installation of the new battery.

wow. just wow. dodge still gives america a big ole middle finger when it comes to changing the battery on this car. OP, she is gonna need help.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Usually alternator problems will show up while driving. And usually battery problems will show up at startup.

+1

Check battery anyways but id guess its alternator.
Im at 135k miles and original battery. Id be surprised if battery is dead this soon.

OP Update: The car started this morning, but struggled a little bit. The screen between the two gauges showed a message stating "Battery Saver Mode" and the none of the accessories (e.g. HVAC, radio) would turn on. As she attempted to drive it to the dealer, it freaked out on her again and she had to pull over and park it.

Unfortunately, even though its CPO and she's only had it 4 months, the dealer was not easy to work with on the brake problems she had shortly after purchase. I'm going to have to call them tomorrow and convince them to take care of this. It doesn't seem right that a CPO vehicle that she paid the associated premium for has problems like this.

I can't believe how deeply Dodge buried the battery in that vehicle! I'm fairly capable at working on vehicles and I think it would take me a couple hours just to get the battery out of there.

These are all the symptoms of the alternator not working. (The "battery" light is actually connected to the alternator and indicates a problem with it.)

The battery may be OK but if it is the original one and considering the stress of running it all the way down a few times, it is about due to be replaced.

Those symptoms are a sign of a low battery voltage. It could be an alternator issue, but it might just be a cable or connector problem. You really need to do some trouble shooting. A 4 year old battery if original should still be good. Mopar batteries are generally good quality in my experience. My 2000 Dodge GC's battery was original when my wife got involved in a wreck in 08. The subsequent neglect by the body shop killed it. I feel certain that would have lasted longer.

OP Update: She ended up needing a new alternator and battery.

Here's where it gets really messed up... she had to pay for it out-of-pocket! It's a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle that she's had for only 4 months. Fortunately she had purchased an extended warranty with a $100 deductible, but that only covered the alternator and associated labor. The warranty wouldn't cover the battery even though its failure was likely caused by the failed alternator, so it cost her just shy of $300. I tried to reason with the Sales Manager that sold her the vehicle as well as the Service Manager. Neither seemed to be empowered to do anything and was incapable of ever recommending who I escalate the issue to.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Sucks she had to pay. Being a 2012, isn't it still under manufacturers warranty?

No. The warranty is 3 years / 36,000 miles and she is over on miles.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Sucks she had to pay. Being a 2012, isn't it still under manufacturers warranty?

The extended warranty only covered the alternator and associated labor. She had to pay the $100 deductibe for that plus the cost of a battery and labor which pushed the total to just shy of $300.

During this I learned that: a) Dodge's process for certifying a vehicle as CPO is garbage. b) Dodge's CPO warranty is garbage at 3 months / 3,000 miles. Of course my expectations are probably skewed because my BMW is CPO and the certification process, purchase experience, and warranty there are extraordinary.

3 years / 36,000 miles warranty, gee that's short, it's 3 years / 100,000km here. And I agree, their CPO certification and warranty sounds like it isn't worth the paper it's written on. Hopefully she has smooth sailing from here on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back