Why no vehicle safety inspection in CA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch a lot of YouTube mechanics videos and they're always talking about getting the customer's car ready for inspection. I don't have to do that here in California and was wondering why.
21.gif

Here in California we should have a safety inspection. There are so many cars on the road that are safety hazards that it is ridiculous. The roads are crowded enough as it is, so when a pile of unmaintained junk breaks down and clogs a lane, traffic backs up for miles and the general public suffers.

There seems at one point to have been a heavy handed Federal requirement. They lifted it and a few states ceased. They're prevalent in the Northeast, and Texas, oddly.

The drivers here have gotten codependent on inspections, and don't know enough about cars themselves to take over primary care. Many slack off for most of the year then play catch-up at sticker time.

What's nice is if a dealer sells a crummy car, you have three days to get it to fail inspection somewhere else then go back and stuff it in their faces and make 'em fix it or give money back.

The state gets a buck or two per sticker, and the mechanic gets the rest, which is limited to $12-18 and not worth his time, directly.

Here in NJ it's just emissions they stopped the safety part on passenger vehicles a couple of years ago which was not a great idea in my book commercial is still safety and emissions.

At one time, the NJ DMV webpage stated that the cost of registration included a vehicle inspection.

Inspections went from annual to every two years. New cars are now exempt for 5 years. Instead of a comprehensive inspection, only emissions are checked. I know someone who passed inspection with a huge crack in their windshield. This is possible because only emissions are checked.

I do not recall seeing the price of vehicle registration drop as a result. I think this was done to increase revenue. The state is on the fast track towards insolvency.

The smog inspection we have is good enough. I don't want to have to jump through any more hoops to register my car. I hardly ever see any broken down car blocking lanes.

Interesting. It's surprising that the nanny state doesn't have vehicle inspections.

Last time I looked into the subject, less than half of all states require periodic safety inspections.

Personally, I'm one of those that feels state safety inspections have more to do with profit for auto repair shops than it does with highway safety. I will concede that safety inspections probably result in cars being slightly better maintained. I say slightly, because a lot can happen to a car in a years time. Brakes can wear, lamps burn out, tires can wear out. If a driver isn't taking care of maintenance of his/her car, with a state inspection, at least the car is getting fixed occasionally. But a lot of shops will use vehicle inspections as a money maker, and fail a car for nit picky things. That's aggravating.

I've lived in states with and without vehicle safety inspections, and the states without have no real measurable difference in highway safety record than those with.

So, count yourself fortunate that the auto repair business in California hasn't yet convinced the powers that be, that safety inspections should be required.

I'm sorta glad that NY does have safety inspections that look at major safety systems like brakes, lights, and tires. It makes sure that folks have done a minimal level of maintenance on their car, enough to pass the inspection.

At one time Pa required inspections every 6 months, it's annual now. Not sure of the politics but rust is a real problem, brake lines, frame, suspension, etc. My dad had to retire a 98 Chevy truck 3 years ago for frame rust-through right before he retired from driving. You dry climate guys can't imagine brake lines rusting through, or frames, or rear diff covers.

It's actually a great deal, for $15 a mechanic checks brakes, suspension, steering, tires, glass, body/frame integrity. Of course it's important to have a mechanic you trust.

Most people NEVER knew how to maintain a car, it's a bit of insurance for the rest of us.

Inspections are about revenue for private auto shops. I dislike the emissions tests in Calif. I've had to do many of them over the years and my cars always passed with flying colors. Why does a car with 30k miles and in perfect shape need biannual tests? It's stupid.

Meanwhile I know of a couple of people with old polluting clunkers, and they pay the mechanic $100 to pass their vehicle.

The inspections are dumb and useless

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Too many illegals in unregistered vehicles. The politicians don't want their voters messed with.

LOL you're funny.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

It's actually a great deal, for $15 a mechanic checks brakes, suspension, steering, tires, glass, body/frame integrity. Of course it's important to have a mechanic you trust.

Yup and it's pretty easy to figure out what shops are crooked. Consider it a cheap audition for your next prospective mechanic.

I've gotten mine done at a chain tire shop, generally regarded as the bottom of the repair barrel, and when they say something is busted, I can't argue... they're spot on.

They also "let ride" stuff like somewhat rusted brake lines, though they let me know they can blow by next time around, and I should keep my own close eye on it.

I do not present myself as anything but a polite customer. Neverminding that I, er, used to work at another shop in their chain, or continue to possess my mechanics' inspection license.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'm sorta glad that NY does have safety inspections that look at major safety systems like brakes, lights, and tires. It makes sure that folks have done a minimal level of maintenance on their car, enough to pass the inspection.

If only they did a minimum inspection lime that here in CA. the number of vehicles with only 1 working brake light is astounding.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Too many illegals in unregistered vehicles. The politicians don't want their voters messed with.

+1 true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back