Several 9'mm add a .40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am looking to add other pistol to my stable prob another inside the waste band carry gun I have several pistols all in 9mm I just found it easy to stick with one caliber. Now I am thinking of adding a .40 carry gun for the simple reason that what if you can't get 9mm and .40 is available it may be wise to have a pistol in .40? Your opinion?

With the $$$ you would spend on a 40 and mags stock up on 9mm ammo. "Common sense is a flower that doesn't bloom in everybody's garden".

Originally Posted By: CT8
With the $$$ you would spend on a 40 and mags stock up on 9mm ammo. "Common sense is a flower that doesn't bloom in everybody's garden".

+1 9mm will do anything .40 will. It will do anything .45 will as well.

A head shot or a heart shot and it's game over regardless of caliber.

Order another 1k rounds of 9mm FMJ and a few good carry loads.

Never forget....the German armies of WW I and WW II all used 9 mm pistols and they seemd to do just fine with that ammo until their armies were over-run..and there was A LOT more involved in that than the use of 9 mm ammo. With the new ammo available, a 9 will have great stopping power.

If there is a long term situation where you can't get 9mm, you aren't getting .40 either. As others pointed out. If you're worried get a couple cases of 9mm to put back. Anything you shoot, you replace.

Edit. Get a reloader and casting gear too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
9mm and .40 are a joke. Go with a .45. Showstopper. Roll the credits.
A close miss with a 45acp is as effective as a good hit with a 9mm or 40!!!

9mm is more widely available, cheaper to shoot and has better trajectories, especially when you look at the +P loads. It doesn't compare to the energy of a .45 but I wouldn't want a +P 9mm round coming at me. It's more of what you comfortably and reliably shoot. If you're jumpy with a .45 then the energy doesn't matter if you miss.

I've gone through the popular calibers myself and a 9mm just makes sense. Personally, that's what I'm going to go with and after much research, I've settled on a Glock 17 for my needs. I just need to finalize that pesky little detail... money.

You'll get all kinds of opinions but the best way to find out is to go handle the models you're looking at and see what load/caliber feels comfortable and accurate to you.

Quote:
9mm is more widely available, cheaper to shoot and has better trajectories, especially when you look at the +P loads. It doesn't compare to the energy of a .45 but I wouldn't want a +P 9mm round coming at me.
Actually 9mm and .45 are pretty similar in energy.

I have at least one pistol or revolver in the most popular calibers--.380, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP, and .45 Long Colt.

If you want a .40, I say get one. There is no need to fret over this pistol has better stopping power over that one. Modern bullets ALL perform well enough if shot placement is on target.

So tired of this drivel being propagated in the net. 9 v. 40 v. 45 is all about preference and taste. They all work very well if supplied with good rounds- check out the fbi test list for starters.

I would agree with the others. I wouldn't get a .40 just because of ammo availability. I personally haven't had TOO much trouble getting it locally. I have slowly stocked up, and when I am out and about and have a few extra minutes, I'll check out a local Walmart for ammo. I have about a 30% rate of finding cheap 9mm (cheap for me is

However, if you want a new gun just because you want a new gun and are looking for some kind of justification, I say go for it! It doesn't hurt for your next gun to be a more locally available caliber for you, whether it be 40 or 45, or whatever.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Actually 9mm and .45 are pretty similar in energy.

While I don't have a reloading book to compare loads that way, just looking at Hornady's website, you can see that a .45 in the Critical Defense variety has around 25% more energy at the muzzle. The 9mm can compensate for that by having around 12% more velocity than the .45.

It's not worlds of difference but the .45 does have significantly more energy.

Barrel length can make a 9mm more powerful than a .45 with a shorter barrel though so that's something else to consider.

I like the .40 as a round. Good compromise between bullet weight and magazine capacity. I simply don't buy the ".40 sucks, .40 Short&Weak" arguments. I've also bought new (not reload) .40S&W rounds for $24/100 when on sale...less than the typical 9mm price, so expense isn't that big an issue if you shop carefully...and ammo is widely available now. Further, diversifying calibers allows you to buy what's in stock, and be less affected when specific calibers experience stocking shortages.

A 180gr JHP with larger frontal area and greater velocity than a 9mm round doesn't suck.

That said, folks with smaller or weaker hands do better on shooting tests with the lower recoil of the 9mm. And new 9mm bullet designs are very effective.

So, pick your weapon and enjoy shooting it.

FWIW, I own six 9mm pistols, and three .40 pistols. Both calibers have their place.

Last edited:
Either a 9 mm or a .40 would serve you well in apocalyptic situations as far as ammo procurement. The military and NATO use the 9 mm so there is going to be lots of that around and about every law enforcement agency including Federal government use the .40 so there will be lots of that too. A .45 is a bad choice. I was never impressed with the ballistics of one. You can get ammo fine now, but in a true Mad Max scenario, Good Luck on finding .45 ammo.

Originally Posted By: CT8
A close miss with a 45acp is as effective as a good hit with a 9mm or 40!!!

False Statement.

I don't own a 9mm, but accuracy wise, I shoot better scores with my 38/357 than my 40 or 45. They all work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back