U of Missouri 'demands'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Now that President Wolfe has quit at U of M the minority students are demanding an increase in minority faculty by 10%.

My question is whether any of the white professors who sided with (and marched with) the 'aggrieved' minority students are willing to give up (not retire on pension) their job in order to meet these demands?

I also think the coach of the football team should be replaced with a 'qualified minority' since he backed the 'demands'...

I would consider them major HYPOCRITES if they do not....

The coach is leaving after this season. It is reported that he has lymphoma.

I don't have a problem with increasing the minority faculty by 10% if that mirrors the population of Missouri which is 86% white....unfortunately it doesn't since white faculty is well under 80%. To increase the black faculty that is going to mean reducing other minority faculty to get there (ie Asian faculty for one). That will generate further issues. I'm also for putting qualified faculty into positions, not just filling quotas.

Even the student diversity shows 21% non-white. If this quota thing gets pushed to the limit some of those minority students (including football players) would have to leave the university to allow more whites to attend....if the argument is that State U. should reflect the diversity of its population....or even that of the nation.

UM faculty diversity

Student diversity

There are many colleges in the USA that can accomodate anyones makeup...light or dark. You can pick a campus where one can play, riot, throw fits with your parents money. I did not have time when I went to college to throw fits, and demand the President of the University resign...

Oh, I forgot, I did graduate, got no arrest record, did not party all night, but did work several jobs to pay my way, imagine that,,,I had to pay my way on some of it, the GI Bill paid for most of it, but that was because I gave 4 years of service,,,yep I was wierd, did not throw fits, did not riot, what a boring student I was...still do not have any arrest records to my name,,and yes I did find a job, imagine that...

The student's demands

Interesting that there are 39 black faculty members (3.8%). Students want that increased by 10% over the next 2 years. So will 4 more black faculty members be the solution they envision? What if those replacements don't have the teaching/counseling chops of the 4 professors they remove?

We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10-year plan on May, 1 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

Tackle that one.

I with you Courier Driver, but a minimum wage job won't pay tuition anymore. When I was going to Fairmont State College in WV, the tuition was $450 for a fulltime semester when I graduated in 1986 (AAS Degree Criminal Justice). I had the military VEAP veterans program to help a little. That's a little under $1.000 in today's money. There's no doubt life is harder for our young people nowdays, but hopefully something will eventually be done about insane tuition costs. It cost me almost 10K to send my son through community college about 4 years ago. Now he's a machinist making decent money, though.

oilBabe is an alum and we are Mizzou football season ticket holders. We are seriously considering ending our donations and subscription to the tickets.

No final answer yet, but we are leaning that way. At the moment, it does appear the inmates are running the asylum. It seems hypocritical that the chancellor and the president of the U of MO resignations were demanded, but there has been no such demand for Melissa Click to resign after her abuse of power and position against the student journalist. She has only resigned a courtesy appointment to the J-school, but not her other positions with Mizzou. Hypocrite! She calls for others to resign because they don't respond as she would like to actions that may or may not be students, but doesn't resign when she assaults and asks for 'muscle' to help with her assault and bullying of the student journalist.

I also graduated and worked to get my degree. School from 8AM to 3PM. Work from 4 to ~ 8 PM and then study till 11 or 12 midnight. My folks helped with about 50% of cost. No time to get into trouble so I graduated with a degree, a clean record and parents who think I did good. My brother followed and he also got his degree without any drama or name in the local news-paper for being a spoiled loud mouth id10t brat. Ed

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
There are many colleges in the USA that can accomodate anyones makeup...light or dark. You can pick a campus where one can play, riot, throw fits with your parents money. I did not have time when I went to college to throw fits, and demand the President of the University resign...

Oh, I forgot, I did graduate, got no arrest record, did not party all night, but did work several jobs to pay my way, imagine that,,,I had to pay my way on some of it, the GI Bill paid for most of it, but that was because I gave 4 years of service,,,yep I was wierd, did not throw fits, did not riot, what a boring student I was...still do not have any arrest records to my name,,and yes I did find a job, imagine that...

Your experience seems to mirror my own. Probably the same for a lot of us.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
oilBabe is an alum and we are Mizzou football season ticket holders. We are seriously considering ending our donations and subscription to the tickets.

No final answer yet, but we are leaning that way. At the moment, it does appear the inmates are running the asylum. It seems hypocritical that the chancellor and the president of the U of MO resignations were demanded, but there has been no such demand for Melissa Click to resign after her abuse of power and position against the student journalist. She has only resigned a courtesy appointment to the J-school, but not her other positions with Mizzou. Hypocrite! She calls for others to resign because they don't respond as she would like to actions that may or may not be students, but doesn't resign when she assaults and asks for 'muscle' to help with her assault and bullying of the student journalist.

Re: Melissa Click....it's called a DOUBLE STANDARD....she should be FIRED (for her actions) to make room for a 'qualified minority'....intelligent alumni should DEMAND it or withhold contributions.....

What are your thoughts on 'professors' who favor QUOTAS being terminated to fulfill the QUOTAS...??? Maybe if it affected them PERSONALLY they wouldn't be so quick to agree with extortion....

Skin color should have no influence. Either way.

Quotas should have nothing to do with it. Either way.

Qualifications should have everything to do with it. Period.

The problem is that they're worthless non-productive lazy bums. A few breakfast shifts at McDonald's starting at 4am sharp will straighten them out. ALL grown adults should have a job,no ifs ands or buts about it. Once someone turns 18,it's off to work you go. High school is a time for being a kid,because you are one. 18 is when you're an adult and should act and be treated as such.

Young college bozos with zero real world experience are in for a rude awakening if they have this spoiled brat attitude once they graduate.

The minority card gets old very quickly.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
The student's demands

Interesting that there are 39 black faculty members (3.8%). Students want that increased by 10% over the next 2 years. So will 4 more black faculty members be the solution they envision? What if those replacements don't have the teaching/counseling chops of the 4 professors they remove?

We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10-year plan on May, 1 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

Tackle that one.

students are dumb indeed. they should read "the bell curve" to understand small % of those professors.

I guess I wasn't coddled enough as I was taught if you don'y like it leave and go some where you will like it. President of the U is a P.O.S. and the board that hired him should be looked at.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I guess I wasn't coddled enough as I was taught if you don'y like it leave and go some where you will like it. President of the U is a P.O.S. and the board that hired him should be looked at.

Wolfe's biography

I won't jump to conclusions that this guy was a pos. As a non-educator he was possibly over-matched for the position. He has roots in Missouri back to the 4th grade, even attended UMissouri. He did have this job for 3 years before this blow up. And the football team having a lousy year certainly didn't help any. Stuff happens. And I agree that if the football team were bowl bound, this would not have happened on this time table.

the old people complaining about young people.

c32742bacf39015f5567b56901f39529.jpg

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the old people complaining about young people.

No. Its people with half a brain and a little common sense complaining about imbeciles. LOL Sad but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back