Bad Brake Dust Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought maybe the "detail" part would cover it.

My Ford Transit produces the WORST brake dust on the rear wheels I've ever seen. I've tried several wheel cleaners, and the best results have come with Turtle Wax wheel cleaner. It still barely makes a difference and I have to scrub like crazy.

Any suggestions for a more powerful cleaner, but one that won't harm the finish on the wheels?

Also, simply switch the pads out to a low dust ceramic. You will spend more time cleaning than to change the pads and solve the problem.

Yeah, I'm going to have to make a change. I've got Wagner Thermoquiet pads on my Jeep and they produce virtually no brake dust at all, not to mention they are outlasting the stock pads by a significant margin.

I'll have to check availability. Most aftermarket parts I've looked for on this van haven't been created yet. I couldn't even find floor mats unti a month ago, and even those are only for the very front.

I agree that going with a pad that won't dust will be much easier than finding a super strong acid wheel cleaner. With 29k you probably still have 50% or better pad life but I bet it's worth the cost of pads just to solve the problem.

The only problem is that it will have to wait until after Christmas, due to lack of funds. I guess I'll keep scrubbing them until then.

Transit rear pads do dust very badly.

You might also try waxing the wheels/covers and/or one of the products like "Rim Ice".

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought maybe the "detail" part would cover it.

My Ford Transit produces the WORST brake dust on the rear wheels I've ever seen. I've tried several wheel cleaners, and the best results have come with Turtle Wax wheel cleaner. It still barely makes a difference and I have to scrub like crazy.

Any suggestions for a more powerful cleaner, but one that won't harm the finish on the wheels?

Simple Green, their purple formula which is good for aluminum seems to work well on aluminum and painted wheels. I spray it on let it sit a minute or so then reapply. I work it in with a nice soft bristle paint brush, and hose it off. It works better than the wheel cleaning products I used over the years, but I try not to let the wheels get too dirty. I also wax my wheels with Rejex.

You might want to try ceramic brake pads when its time for brakes.

^ That's sorta what I was going to say.
A guy suggested Armour-All on the wheels years ago and I've been doing it ever since.
It sprays on milky then goes to clear.
Brake dust cleans off real easily.

If there's a cheaper alternative out there please let me know. Kira

Are they bright alloy or chrome? Just don't clean them ever and then after a while-- Do It Yourself anthracite rims !! Okay, sorry that was actually a rant against some of the idiots I see running around with what were likely once a nice set of rims but they've never cleaned them and they've become perma-funked with brake dust. They really do kind of look anthracite though, lol.

Agree with everyone who said change out to a low dusting pad like ceramic or something.

Heavy rear brake dust tells me they bias the brakes heavily to the rear.Being rear wheel drive,that would make sense.Otherwise your height sensing proportioning vave isn't working right.(or a recall will be coming in a few years...).

The very best wheel cleaner I have ever used is Meguiar's Wheel Brightener. Mix 4 to 1 with water. Only needs light brushing with a soft brush. Make sure to wear gloves. The wheels on my Audi were very stained with brake dust which resisted any other cleaner now look like new.

Michelin Wheel & Tyre Cleaner works for me but it is hard to find in stores. I order it out of Florida. Haven't found anything that it won't clean. Cleans tires very good too.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Are they bright alloy or chrome? Just don't clean them ever and then after a while-- Do It Yourself anthracite rims !! Okay, sorry that was actually a rant against some of the idiots I see running around with what were likely once a nice set of rims but they've never cleaned them and they've become perma-funked with brake dust. They really do kind of look anthracite though, lol.

Agree with everyone who said change out to a low dusting pad like ceramic or something.

They are silver painted alloy.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan

Zep Fast 505 mixed 50%. My Jetta has horrible brake dust on the rears as well and the 505 takes care of it well. About $10 a gallon so it's relatively economical. I would suggest a wheel wax or sealant for easier removal with just soap and water.

Get Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. Order online- Autogeek is a good place. Thank me later... :)

dusty pads are the best pads. they offer best initial "bite". Ceramic are just like all season tires - not so good in any area. Kleenwheel covers restrict airflow around brakes which is not good.
IF you really want different pads get Hawk pads but not ceramic version. they dust less than OE pads but offer better "bite"
Waxing wheels makes life easier. I do this to our cars and dust washes off while washing exterior without need for wheel cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back