Starting to shop for new tires for my Subie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally the higher the speed rating the softer the rubber and less it will last. Always a trade off.

I would have gotten Continental DW or DWS on my Camaro last time around but the coupons and price on some BFG's were too good to pass up. In any case, I'd going to make a better effort to get Continentals on one of my cars next time around. Very strongly rated for dry and wet grip with a nice ride. I think that extra $10-15 over next tier tires is worth it.

My wife has Continental PrueContact's on her 2009 Forester. They are incredible in the rain and snow, super quiet, and smooth as silk on the highway.

At 22k miles, they go their first rotation, and all characteristics are unchanged.

Super-impressed with these tires.

Last edited:
I have 13 outback and just had a set of toyo celcuis cuv installed. I bought them for winter traction and was expecting a noisey tire. They are quiet in town and on the highway. I have only had them on dry roads, but handling is great the cuv is a v rated tire. So far we are happy with them.

I read about the those Toyo's haven't found anyone around me that has them, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for them? I am sure they are a lot cheaper than the Nokian's WRG3

I have read great things about the contis and the p7 but when it came to new tires on my wagon i went with les schwab z900 ultra. I havent hit too much snow yet but the dry and wet weather traction is great. I had the previous z800 ultra on my focus and they were rediculously good in the snow which obviously influenced my purchase of these tires. This by the way is coming from someone very aclimated to snow driving. Btw i know you didnt mention these tires but i know of two people with subies who are happy with them.

Never pulled the trigger on replacing the OEM Turanza’s and now they are down to 4-5/32nd. However, I did recently pick up a nice set of 18” OEM Legacy GT wheels to replace my 16” OEM wheels. Hopefully, with the larger rims and tires it will help fill out the huge wheel wells on my 2012 Subaru Legacy. Now the hard part is tires, I have been looking for all-seasons that I can run year round as our family car has snows plus I don’t drive a lot (the Legacy only has 39,000 miles in 4 ½ years). At first I was looking at Continentals Pure Contact and the Pirelli Cinturato P7s AS+ but they are very pricey in the size tire I need (225/45/18), so I am now considering the General RT43’s, Cooper CS5 (Ultras or Grand Touring?), or perhaps the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus as they have a nice rebate at Costco.

Thoughts/suggestions as the best reasonably priced 18" (v speed rated) all-season tire for my Legacy?

Originally Posted By: Picky1
Never pulled the trigger on replacing the OEM Turanza’s and now they are down to 4-5/32nd. However, I did recently pick up a nice set of 18” OEM Legacy GT wheels to replace my 16” OEM wheels. Hopefully, with the larger rims and tires it will help fill out the huge wheel wells on my 2012 Subaru Legacy. Now the hard part is tires, I have been looking for all-seasons that I can run year round as our family car has snows plus I don’t drive a lot (the Legacy only has 39,000 miles in 4 ½ years). At first I was looking at Continentals Pure Contact and the Pirelli Cinturato P7s AS+ but they are very pricey in the size tire I need (225/45/18), so I am now considering the General RT43’s, Cooper CS5 (Ultras or Grand Touring?), or perhaps the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus as they have a nice rebate at Costco.

Thoughts/suggestions as the best reasonably priced 18" (v speed rated) all-season tire for my Legacy?

Nice job on the larger rims, I bet they'll look great.

I have a set of these Conti DWS 06 on my Caliber, I love em. I know a couple other people with them on various cars, including a couple WRXs, and they like them as well. I havent experienced them yet in snow (will this year) but from reviews it sounds like they will hand it no problem (the "s" stands for snow in the name)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...6&tab=Sizes

For 225/45-18

The Dunlop Signature HP would be a great choice. Good price, US-made, good all=-around all-season tire.

Other good choices:
Falken Ziex ZE950
Sumitomo HTR AS P02 (sold as Falken Pro G4 at DT/DTD)
Kumho Solus TA71
General G-Max

The Kelly Edge might meet your needs, and is probably US-made, too

The Cooper CS5's you'd be buying are the Ultra, as that is the one offered in H, V, and W speed ratings. The CS5 Grand is a T-rated tire. The Grand and Ultra have different tread designs, too.

I personally cannot recommend the P7s, especially in the P225/50R17 size that you are looking at. Reason is because I received three defective tires in that exact size earlier this year. Because of how many tires the dealer had to go through I was asked to up-front the money for one of the replacement tires. That was all back in February/march and I am still waiting on reimbursement for the tire. Please see this thread for addtional details. I have had great luck with the RT43s on my wife's Pontiac. They are great in the snow and are very quiet.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
I have had great luck with the RT43s on my wife's Pontiac. They are great in the snow and are very quiet.

I would second the RT43 over the P7 (and the Kumho Solus TA71 is up there too, perhaps cheaper). Tire Rack has those P7 Cinturato's ranked highly though, but it seems like only on their site. The Goodyear Assurances on my Mazda5 still have some tread, but are cracking due to age so I'm in the market too. Here are a couple of the tire review sites I've seen that rank the Altimax or Solus higher.

https://www.tirereviews.com/best-tires-by-category
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews

A strong second for the Michelin Premier A/S. We have a '13 Outback and the tires have been great over 20K in wet and slushy conditions typical of a Michigan winter, especially on salted roads. Snow traction is superior to the OEM tires too, we've had no issues in 10-12" of snow or light ice (A snow tire is much better on ice) . Handling is precise and the tires are quiet on rough roads and over bumps.

The "H" rated tires perform a bit better in bad weather than the "V" tires ; we have the "V' version on our Honda.

Last edited:
I like my premiers as well, but they are very overpriced currently and the mpg did drop quite abit from oem tires.
some options:
The Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring in V rating is very competitively priced in 225/50r17

yokohama yk580

The premiers are 190$ a tire

There are plenty of good tires in the 125-150$ range.

I'd shop during the labor day sale coming up next week at DT/DTD.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I like my premiers as well, but they are very overpriced currently and the mpg did drop quite abit from oem tires.
some options:
The Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring in V rating is very competitively priced in 225/50r17

yokohama yk580

Agreed. I have 35k on my set of Premiers and probably have about 15k left due to an aggressive driving style. Great tire but the mpg hit seems a bit more than expected (given the performance level).

Thanks folks for the insights, please keep in mind that the tire size I am looking at is 225/45/18 V speed rated. Narrowed it down to the following tires due to price, performance, preference, and assessability:

- General RT43’s
- Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring
- Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (due to Costco rebate, and the potential to get my current tires pro-rated)

Any experience with any of these tires in respects to handling, MPG, and winter weather?

Thanks folks for the insights, please keep in mind that the tire size I am looking at is 225/45/18 V speed rated. Narrowed it down to the following tires due to price, performance, preference, and assessability:

- General RT43’s
- Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (due to Costco rebate, and the potential to get my current tires pro-rated)

Any experience with any of these tires in respects to handling, MPG, and winter weather?

Have you had a look at Tire Rack's survey results.. they display the scores so it's easy to compare various tires together. I put in your tire size and it looks like you really can't go wrong with the RT43 in terms of rain and winter driving. Though I guess if you can afford it the Michelin Premier has a slight edge (IMHO not worth the extra $60/tire). Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&appliedFilter=y&sortValue=0&filter=y&frontWidth=225%2F&frontRatio=55&frontDiameter=18&rearWidth=225%2F&rearRatio=55&rearDiameter=18

- General RT43’s

The RT43 is very popular on here. I didn't see it in your size when I looked before, I must've missed it. Sorry. But it is a good tire that you will be happy with.

Many have been happy with the CS5 as well, and they are a very good deal when DTD has those huge rebates, like the labor day sale coming up. This will probably be your best value.

Originally Posted By: Rand
some options:

yokohama yk580

I have Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 235-45/17 in W rate on my E430. It is quieter than Kumho 4X and softer ride but handling on dry is a tad lower, no experience with wet roads yet. Out the door cost was around $150 for 4 after 3 rebates and tread life prorate.

So you're getting aftermarket 18 inch wheels and 225/45r18 size tires now?

Enough with the RT43's and CS5's. You should get something that's less popular on here and then be able to tell BITOG about something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back