Major W10 patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a news article on a new major W10 patch/update coming. Is there any other information available? My W10 is running stable and reliably and I'm of the mind- set that if it works well, don't fix it. Ed Hayes

Microsoft released the operating system before they should have due to wanting it to hit the back to school sales season. A large number of laptops are sold in the month of August.

Mine just updated. Nothing I could do about it. Before and after the update I can't stream any football or anything else.

My laptop and desktop both received the November update (version 1156 I think it's called) earlier this week. They both ran fine before, and run fine after. I use Classic Shell on both and they run like super-snappy versions of Windows 7 (just like Windows 8 did for me).

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I saw a news article on a new major W10 patch/update coming. Is there any other information available? My W10 is running stable and reliably and I'm of the mind- set that if it works well, don't fix it. Ed Hayes

You don't have a choice, as W10 updates automatically. It's one of the only things that made me hesitant to upgrade from W7. So far, no issues what so ever.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Microsoft released the operating system before they should have due to wanting it to hit the back to school sales season. A large number of laptops are sold in the month of August.

If this is true, what were the consequences? I'm not saying others haven't had issues, but I haven't read about them, and my three PC's run almost exactly the same on W10 as on W7 and W8.1.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My laptop and desktop both received the November update (version 1156 I think it's called) earlier this week. They both ran fine before, and run fine after. I use Classic Shell on both and they run like super-snappy versions of Windows 7 (just like Windows 8 did for me).

What does the classic shell do? W10 is almost exactly the same as W7, except with much better accessibility.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What does the classic shell do? W10 is almost exactly the same as W7, except with much better accessibility.

I'm not much of a user interface snob, but I WILL admit that I don't care all that much for the newer flat interface and tiled Start Menu. Classic Shell brings Windows 7's Aero Glass theme back to the Start Menu. It makes a nice difference to my eyes, and it's free.

http://www.classicshell.net/

saw a news article on a new major W10 patch/update coming. Is there any other information available? My W10 is running stable and reliably and I'm of the mind- set that if it works well, don't fix it. Ed Hayes
Sorry to burst your W-bubble, but W10 is new and will be updated FREQUENTLY. Given that, I'd recommend frequent back-ups & "set-points" just in case something goes FUBAR.

Caveat Emptor!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I'm not much of a user interface snob, but I WILL admit that I don't care all that much for the newer flat interface and tiled Start Menu. Classic Shell brings Windows 7's Aero Glass theme back to the Start Menu. It makes a nice difference to my eyes, and it's free.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I think my wife likes the classic look more, and had what you linked installed on her laptop when it was running on W8 and then W8.1.

I don't think she's installed it since upgrading to W10.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out what about W7 people prefer or think is better. To each his own, and I don't mean any offense at all; it's an honest curiosity. It's just that, the UI for W7 and W10 are so close that I don't see it.

I'm assuming the search features and interface aren't changed with the shell, right?

I like how when I booted up after it finished installing and it explains it updated, and "we have new features to show you" or something.
Then doesn't tell me what they are.

Last edited:
read more annoying widgets that make us money and make it easier to spy on you.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I like how when I booted up after it finished installing and it explains it updated, and "we have new features to show you" or something.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu

Put the tin foil hat back on...

Originally Posted By: tmorris1

Tin foil hat isn't required. Just read the privacy disclosure from microsoft. They aren't hiding it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: tmorris1

Tin foil hat isn't required. Just read the privacy disclosure from microsoft. They aren't hiding it.

Yep, you've got to pay attention. Besides the standard apps, I disabled just about everything.

How can one determine if they have had the "major" update installed?

Click on the start button - Settings - System - About. If version is 1511 you have the update.

Only new feature Ive noticed so far is that I can't print any more. Any printer I select and try to print to just shows an error message "An error has occured"
Very informative. 11/10
This is two separate machines, too.

While researching my Brother laser problem, I noticed a mention of just such a problem. I'll see if I can find it.

Quote:
I updated my Windows® 10 PC through Windows Update and I can no longer communicate with my device or use some features of the installed Drivers and Software.

When you update your Windows® 10 PC through Windows Update, you may not communicate with your device or use some features of the installed Drivers and Software.

Follow the steps below to resolve this issue.

Uninstall the Brother Drivers and Software.
> Click here to see how to uninstall the Brother Drivers and Software.

Download the Drivers from the "Downloads" section and reinstall the Drivers and Software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back