Ford Focus Electric - Wow! - Anybody Else Know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to reduce your MPG is to not use gasoline.
laugh.gif

Wow, this 2016 Ford Focus Electric (pictures later) is amazing. Bought it yesterday because of :

1. http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-electric over the Nissan Leaf I considered too.

2. $12,500 in government $$$ (federal + state)

3. $3,500 in Ford rebates for financing it

4. They are rare! Found 1 in the entire state! Exact color and leather I was lookin' fer.

5. Driven it once. Low-end torque is like a silent-supercharger on these motors. Really sweet.

Anybody with any experience? I'm using mine for an errand-runner, limited to 70 miles a day.

Congrats glad you got what you wanted. Maybe try a forum dedicated to your veh specifically.

Cool, do you plug it in next to the toaster?
smile.gif

I'm in for pics. Not a lot of fluids to change.

Whats the quick charge time?

If I could get 12,500 back I might consider an E-Golf or i3 (Id have to import the golf from another state).

So, how does an electric reduce your MPG? I thought an electric would reduce your gasoline consumption...thus increasing your miles per gallon?

Saw Tesla superchargers on I-93 in New Hampshire yesterday...infrastructure is coming that will make electric a viable option...right now, I can't afford a car for commuter only duty. It must be able to drive to DC from VB, or it's of no use to me...

Doubt you'll see 70 miles a day in winter without having to charge it throughout the day.

The heater, defroster and continued trying to operate it in snowy/ice will take whatever range it has and reduce it dramatically.

Please keep us informed on how it works for you. Also how much it costs in electricity.

I hate that these vehicles can not stand on their own no matter what the mission the owners have.

Bill

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
The best way to reduce your MPG is to not use gasoline.
laugh.gif

Wow, this 2016 Ford Focus Electric (pictures later) is amazing. Bought it yesterday because of :

1. http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-electric over the Nissan Leaf I considered too.

2. $12,500 in government $$$ (federal + state)

3. $3,500 in Ford rebates for financing it

4. They are rare! Found 1 in the entire state! Exact color and leather I was lookin' fer.

5. Driven it once. Low-end torque is like a silent-supercharger on these motors. Really sweet.

Anybody with any experience? I'm using mine for an errand-runner, limited to 70 miles a day.

Federal $7,500 subsidized is in the form of tax incentive,i.e., if your 2015 Federal tax liability is $7,500 or more then you can it deducted by $7,500.

If your Federal tax liability is less than $7,500, let say $3,000, then that is the maximum amount($3,000) you can get from Federal.

State incentives can be different, some states would issue the rebate amount by check.

If a w2 employee he could cease his federal tax withholding for the rest of the year. Sometimes the change can be done online. Consult with an accountant if you have one.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Great choice for a short to medium range commuter car. It even looks nice.
I thought the Nissan Leaf looked a little too funky. Cool car though. Came very close to getting that instead, just happened to run across a rare Focus all-Electric though.
2013-nissan-leaf.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Great score, never even knew they made an electric
Tell me about it! Dealership salesman saw it and said its like a unicorn sighting.
Funny: They gave me cards for free oil changes! Not kidding.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Congrats glad you got what you wanted. Maybe try a forum dedicated to your veh specifically.
You're right! Here this is on an oil forum (irony anyone?).
crackmeup2.gif
I'm excited.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
OH Good color!!! Nice looking car congrats. Please do keep us up to date on how it works out.

Thanks, yeah its technically interesting and different. Just got back from Red Rocks Park. Drives fantastic. Car and Driver was right in their test, this thing is really just like an ultra-quiet normal car with lots of low-end torque. I felt torque steer on wide-open-watts. So far so good. Range isn't stellar though. Should get 67 miles or so I think.

Strange, the listed 0-60 time is 10.2 seconds, kind of doggy. Yet, I just drove it and gets up there stupid-fast, so it feels strong. I guess its just the silent accelerator pedal to the floor effect, no pistons & camshafts screaming back at ya to ease off.

I do wish they could synthesize some Mustang GT V8 noise with a switch though. Seriously. Its eerie silent.

Best part about today's drive: I passed a Tesla S. Honked and waved to no effect. His Tesla costs $90k, mine MSRPed at $30k (before government cheese handouts). I'd take his range, but this is really just a toy and/or grocery getter and commuter car.

Last edited:
Very nice!! I didn't even know they made an all electric Focus. I drove a rental Focus and really liked it, at least a lot more than the other rentals cars I've had in the past.

Definitely let us know about the range, any range anxiety and charging methods. Do you have or need a 220 outlet in the garage (maybe even 480?)? Or is 120 enough for your needs? Probably at least a 220 for recharging 70mi/evening.

Congratulations on buying an electric car!
I wish we had such significant financial incentives here and I would do the same, especially considering our renewable content is around 75%.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Doubt you'll see 70 miles a day in winter without having to charge it throughout the day.

The heater, defroster and continued trying to operate it in snowy/ice will take whatever range it has and reduce it dramatically.

Please keep us informed on how it works for you. Also how much it costs in electricity.

I hate that these vehicles can not stand on their own no matter what the mission the owners have.

Bill

I hear ya. Soon as I need air conditioning or heater, look out! Fortunately the commute is only 10 miles round-trip, and errands are almost all within 30 miles round trip. (Other car, a Ford C-Max Hybrid, gets 500 miles on a tank of gas, so thats the one for long trips, and it gets a consistent 41 MPG too.)

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Congratulations on buying an electric car!
I wish we had such significant financial incentives here and I would do the same, especially considering our renewable content is around 75%.

Well, just ask Obama to be your president (he's looking for a job soon), and the green environmentalists like him and Al Gore will get-R-done for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back