Discount Tire experiance

Status
Not open for further replies.
went there to get my tires rotated.
sales person checks tread depth
Fronts 6/32 5/32 rears 8/32 8/32
He starts telling me that the outsides of the front tires have some wear and for snow season it would be safer to leave the tires as is.I told him I know that but I want them rotated anyway.
What if we can help you on price and replace the two front tire?
No please rotate them.
Long story short i have to ask 3 times to please rotate my tires.
I almost left and went somewhere else and just paid to have them rotated.
I know that a lot of people dont know that in most cases you are better off with more tread in the rear in snowy conditions and he was just trying to educate me.
Rotate the tires and stop the nanny stuff.My safety is my business not yours.
I've been driving in the snow for 50 years and I know how to do it.
And don't worry about the old guy (me)in the Sentra going slow in the snow.
Worry about the idiot SUV drivers that think they are invincible in bad weather.

Last edited:
Take it easy on the guy, he's probably doing what he was trained to do. If you don't like them doing their job don't take advantage of the free rotations. I've had nothing but stellar experiences at our DT, always bring them a box of donuts when I go in for a rotation or whatever. Being a Marine you understand about following orders, and thank you for your years of service.

Your safety is his business. If you have ever owned your own business you would understand why. Liability insurance is huge and with more and more lawsuits, all businesses need to "nanny". He is just following company policy. And yes as you stated, the tires with the most tread should always be on the rear even on a FWD car so he/DT is right. Don't get mad at DT or the worker; next time rotate them yourself if you don't like their policy. You may never sue them if you get in an accident but the majority of the population will include any company in a suit if they have a chance.

Dave

He is doing his job, but DT has some questionable employees.
Few year back I was buying winter tires for my VW CC, and went to check what they can offer. So I tell guy i want winter tire, this and that dimensions. And he starts to show me all season tires. I said: excuse me, those are all season tires. And he is: well yeah, it has this Mud+snow sign. At that point, supervisor noticed I am ready to leave, and he jumps in saying: let me do this.
I mean if your worker, regardless how much experience has, does not know difference between all season and winter tire, then things are really messed up.

With liability litigation the way it is today, you can't blame Discount Tire for sticking with the safest option. It's easy to see the worst-case scenario: Discount rotates the tires as you request, car oversteers in snow or rain causing an accident, lower tread on the rear tires is blamed...

Not saying you would have an accident or claim damages even if you did, but it's a big, incompetent, blame-somebody-else world out there.

I've had 99% great experiences with DT. Sure, every once in a while you find the newbie or the bonehead but its one of the few places I'm confident going to in any city and know I'll receive good service.

Originally Posted By: Danh
With liability litigation the way it is today, you can't blame Discount Tire for sticking with the safest option. It's easy to see the worst-case scenario: Discount rotates the tires as you request, car oversteers in snow or rain causing an accident, lower tread on the rear tires is blamed...

Not saying you would have an accident or claim damages even if you did, but it's a big, incompetent, blame-somebody-else world out there.

Agreed

Service writer at TireKingdom is the same...

"Your tires are shot, no need to rotate your tires. I'll give you a great price on 4 new tires."

Originally Posted By: edyvw
He is doing his job, but DT has some questionable employees.
Few year back I was buying winter tires for my VW CC, and went to check what they can offer. So I tell guy i want winter tire, this and that dimensions. And he starts to show me all season tires. I said: excuse me, those are all season tires. And he is: well yeah, it has this Mud+snow sign. At that point, supervisor noticed I am ready to leave, and he jumps in saying: let me do this.
I mean if your worker, regardless how much experience has, does not know difference between all season and winter tire, then things are really messed up.

Tire shops have such a high turnover they always have new and poorly trained employees.

As long as they rotate my tires for free, I don't care if they try to sell me something.

No is easy to say.

I've had a front wheel drive car for the past 14 cars and prefer the better tires in the front positions.

The OP has plenty of meat on both fronts and rears. That sure beats the typical car out there driving around with tread depth of 2/32-5/32 regardless of which tires are the lowest. Those measurements can also vary quite a bit depending on which treads you measure and how many readings you take around the circumference. A single measurement point may or may not be indicative of that entire tire.

Ran a service station back late 80's and this is what I ran into. There was an intersection with many accidents. A Ford Ranger went to stop and flipped. We ran to help him until ambulance could get there. He had us tow it to our store and hold it for insurance. That is where it got sticky. Insurance had us come up with an explanation on why it flipped. I look at passenger front and see wheel bowed out so I pulled it and brake rotor was gone as in it exploded. Pulled left front and pad was metal to metal. Customer stated no one told him he needed brakes when they did tire rotation earlier in week so lawsuit time. Was told paper work was in glove box so I got paper work in front of Insurance adjuster and what did I see? On paper work it stated price for brakes including rotors with a NOT SAFE note on it as well as customer refused work and didn't want wrecker to tow out. Not only did he lose out on lawsuit his Insurance didn't pay for his truck nor the other vehicles in accident. Oh we got cursed out and threatened by customer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Best tires always on the rear of any car. Watch the Michelin video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXXrKFJctU

how about you put the best tires on the back and put the skins on the front and screw yourself when you need some actual braking?

good on the front at least you can stop...
bad tires on the back in snow you wont get moving in the first place...

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Your safety is his business. If you have ever owned your own business you would understand why. Liability insurance is huge and with more and more lawsuits, all businesses need to "nanny". He is just following company policy. And yes as you stated, the tires with the most tread should always be on the rear even on a FWD car so he/DT is right. Don't get mad at DT or the worker; next time rotate them yourself if you don't like their policy. You may never sue them if you get in an accident but the majority of the population will include any company in a suit if they have a chance.

Dave

This, and this is a franchise of a large company, I am certain that the company policy is strictly enforced, surprising that they didn't get you to sign a waiver of that policy so that in the event you have a accident related to loss of traction they have informed you and you refused their advice on the matter.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Best tires always on the rear of any car. Watch the Michelin video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXXrKFJctU

how about you put the best tires on the back and put the skins on the front and screw yourself when you need some actual braking?

good on the front at least you can stop...
bad tires on the back in snow you wont get moving in the first place...

Braking isn't the issue, stability is...

Time to do some reading...

Start here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3898583/1

In Chicago, you should just mount 4 winter tires, so you don't screw yourself. Or the person in front of you...

Last edited:
Tom and Ray

Not everyone agrees with Michelin. In that particular video are either of those cars front wheel drive weighing 4,200 lbs? Since I'm not a member of the legal or sales departments of a tire manufacturer, I can make my own choice based on my driving habits, amount of driving in wet or snowy conditions, etc. In a "perfect" world we'd replace our tires as soon as the brand new tread depth wore down 1/32"....or at every oil change....whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: tiger862
Ran a service station back late 80's and this is what I ran into. There was an intersection with many accidents. A Ford Ranger went to stop and flipped. We ran to help him until ambulance could get there. He had us tow it to our store and hold it for insurance. That is where it got sticky. Insurance had us come up with an explanation on why it flipped. I look at passenger front and see wheel bowed out so I pulled it and brake rotor was gone as in it exploded. Pulled left front and pad was metal to metal. Customer stated no one told him he needed brakes when they did tire rotation earlier in week so lawsuit time. Was told paper work was in glove box so I got paper work in front of Insurance adjuster and what did I see? On paper work it stated price for brakes including rotors with a NOT SAFE note on it as well as customer refused work and didn't want wrecker to tow out. Not only did he lose out on lawsuit his Insurance didn't pay for his truck nor the other vehicles in accident. Oh we got cursed out and threatened by customer.

Thanks for sharing that story very interesting!

Yes, I know best tires on rear, but as soon as you start getting any wear on your new front tires, then you can't rotate? If that is true, then everyone would always have to buy tires 2 at a time. What about rear drive cars with staggered front/rear sizes? In that case the worn tires are always on the rear. Now what? Replace them every 2/32s I guess.

I don't rotate my tires, I replace them in axle pairs as they wear.
That means I don't need to buy five at a time.
Rotating tires went out of fashion over here as radial ply tires became popular. Pretty much by the mid 1970's. When did radials supplant bias ply in North America?.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back