Buy this truck? Any known defects 99 Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Ford Ranger. $1500
http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/5314914024.html

Its a v6 which i'm sure is harder to work on than a 4cyl which i would have preferred but the price is more realistic than the other junker rangers listed for $2700 with 250k on them.

Any known issues with this year Ranger, V6 etc? Any particular tsb i want to ask if it has had done? Any particular crevice to look at for know coolant leakage or noises to listen for?

I know what rod knocks sound like and what a noisy alternator sounds like etc. just looking for the "inside tips" on classic pitfalls for a 99 ranger with a v6.

Thanks fellas!

It's a 16 year old snow/rust belt truck with more than 200,000 miles on it. Just about everything would be a potential pitfall.

Being in the Rust Belt, you'll want to pay special attention to rusty brake lines, fuel lines, suspension components, oil pans, etc. We had a couple Rangers for company trucks, we had a few problems like rack & pinion failures & one lost the front part of the oil pan gasket, requiring a new one. Ours were 4 cylinders, though.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's a 16 year old snow/rust belt truck with more than 200,000 miles on it. Just about everything would be a potential pitfall.

Yep, and hundreds of them continue to drive around. Nonetheless, point well taken. I am not using it as a daily driver. Just trying to find any known... "Oh [censored] that year they had the bad XYZ design and it will show up with a whistling sound at startup". Those type of wisdoms.

Being a V6 it's either the Vulcan or the 4.0 both of which are reliable engines and will last darn near forever. Other than the usual stuff - check for rust, tires, etc there's no reason not to buy it.

The frames rot real bad on these, rear spring perches, transmissions, gas tank straps, be real careful buying one of these.
I threw a 2000 4x4 3.0 with under 50K on it in the bone yard, the frame was broken in 4 places but had a mint body, drive train and interior. The cost of the frame exceeded the value of the truck and it wasn't worth the labor to part it out.

I have a 2002
V-6, 3 Liter
Currently 129,000 miles

I do a lot of PM to it.
Small and mid repairs are easy
I recently replaced the rear axle 'oil seals'. First time in my life and it was an enjoyable job.

Only complaint I had in 13 years is:
Coolant leak around Timing Chain Cover.
Had it repaired at Dealer (yea, I know), while they did the job, I said to also change Water Pump, Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses and Front Engine Oil Seal

My Brake Lines still look brand new.
I coated them with Never-Seize.

If you buy this Truck, have it Oil Undercoated.
Don't do yourself with used motor oil.
Cost should be $100.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Just trying to find any known... "Oh [censored] that year they had the bad XYZ design and it will show up with a whistling sound at startup". Those type of wisdoms.

That's unfortunate we don't have someone here who knows these trucks inside-and-outside...

Oh, wait.
grin.gif

Send a PM to 01rangerxl and make sure he sees your thread here.

The sticker under the hood will tell you if it's a 3.0 or a 4.0 engine. Both engines are good, for the most part.
I'd be a little leery of one with that many miles, especially in the rust belt, but that's your call and the price isn't too high.
Some of the "pitfalls" would be the AC unit. Odds are, it doesn't work. Also, pay special attention to see if the heat selector works. These particular models have a problematic blend door that has a high failure rate. A fix at the dealer is a $1K bill, but Dorman makes a redneck fix that will get you by if you don't mind cutting the heater box and fixing it with duct tape.
Rear drum brakes shoes have very little meat of them. I've always replaced these with bonded shoes instead of riveted shoes just because the bonded will give you a little more service life. (RockAuto has these parts CHEAP)
BTW, I've got a '98 3.0/manual tranny Ranger that I picked up dirt cheap from my deceased cousin's estate. I recently got 28 mpg with it on a 1500 mile trip with two adults. It's a great truck.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Yep, and hundreds of them continue to drive around. Nonetheless, point well taken. I am not using it as a daily driver. Just trying to find any known... "Oh [censored] that year they had the bad XYZ design and it will show up with a whistling sound at startup". Those type of wisdoms.

punch up "problems with 1999 ranger". lots of info.you'll get more objective info, and you'll avoid the brand haters.

my brother/ uncle/neighbor/ has an '05, and no problems. or, have you looked at crown vic?or, those years of s10's are good. these type of irrelevant posts will be avoided,and you will only get info that you seek.

that applies to all that are looking for a used vehicle.unless, of course, you want to have a conversation with other bitogers.
at any rate, good luck in your search.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Being a V6 it's either the Vulcan or the 4.0 both of which are reliable engines and will last darn near forever.

How do I tell the difference?
Vulcan is a 3.0 pushrod motor (think Taurus engine), believe the 4.0 is an OHC design. For $1500 it doesn't look bad, but there's no substitute for looking at (& esp. UNDERNEATH) a high mileage truck.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Being a V6 it's either the Vulcan or the 4.0 both of which are reliable engines and will last darn near forever.

How do I tell the difference?
Vulcan is a 3.0 pushrod motor (think Taurus engine), believe the 4.0 is an OHC design.

FOR THIS PARTICULAR MODEL, the 4.0 engine will be a push rod engine. Later on, Ford also went to an OHC 4.0 engine that was used in some trucks.

Last edited:
1999 is not TIB.

Only big problem I recall is the heater core; if it goes, you are looking at an all-day job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back