Not getting the right page when opening thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I click on a thread I have not posted in or read before. If the thread is 2 pages long I seem to get page 2 instead of page 1 sometimes. If I click on a longer thread who knows what page I will be sent to, it's like a dice roll. It has been this way for years but I have been using the site more lately. It's somewhat annoying.

I also have the frequent sign in issue.

I think it doesn't matter if you read the thread or not, it might just be based on when you were last logged in. So it takes you to the first page after you were last logged in even though you didn't read the first half of the thread when you were previously logged in.

I could easily be wrong though. That's usually why I click the page number or the "all" link to pick up where I want.

Yes, I believe that sicko is right. If there have been posts since the last time you visited, it takes you to the most recent post since that time and assumes you've already ready the posts in the thread during your last session.

I've gotten in the habit of clicking the page number links rather than the thread link for that reason.

Originally Posted By: Shark
So, I click on a thread I have not posted in or read before. If the thread is 2 pages long I seem to get page 2 instead of page 1 sometimes. If I click on a longer thread who knows what page I will be sent to, it's like a dice roll. It has been this way for years but I have been using the site more lately. It's somewhat annoying.

It takes you to the first unread response in a given thread. If that response happens to be on page 2 or 3, then that's where it'll take you. It's like that by design.

If you want to go to a specific page, click on the page numbers next to the thread title, and not on the thread title itself.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It takes you to the first unread response in a given thread. If that response happens to be on page 2 or 3, then that's where it'll take you. It's like that by design.

If you want to go to a specific page, click on the page numbers next to the thread title, and not on the thread title itself.

Say I open this thread... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rheating#UNREAD

it starts me out at #3782248 - 07/07/15 12:36 AM

Say I open this thread... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rheating#UNREAD

Well, it took me to #3770596 - - 06/24/15 10:46 PM, which is the first post in that thread. Since I've not seen this thread before, it only makes sense that it took me to the first post, just as I would have expected. So again, to me this works exactly as designed.

I, too, have never had problems with it. If it's an old thread and I've been in and out of the forum without ever paying attention to the thread, yes, it'll be problematic, but if I wasn't reading it in the first place, and really want to read the entire thing, it's not going to be a problem.

Well, it took me to #3770596 - - 06/24/15 10:46 PM, which is the first post in that thread. Since I've not seen this thread before, it only makes sense that it took me to the first post, just as I would have expected. So again, to me this works exactly as designed.

Yea, works for you, and not me. This means it is not working as designed. Today, when I open the same referenced thread I start at #3770740 - 06/25/15 05:29 AM

Are you logging out each day? This is my routine. I come on, log in, read the threads that interest me, and log out. When I come back, the threads I've already been reading will bump me into the right spot. If I go into a thread that's been ongoing, and have never visited in past visits, it won't put me in the "right" spot, which would be the beginning of the thread, since I read none at all.

Is this the situation you are finding?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Okay. How does my description match what happens to you, aside from the logging in and out?

Sorry for the delay, yes that is exactly what happens to me.

Okay. Yes, I guess it basically counts completely unread threads as read if you've made more than one visit, or in my case, login and logout. At least that's my theory.
wink.gif
It doesn't bother me, because if it's a thread I've been ignoring, I don't care, and if I do want to read it, and haven't been up on it, I will have to start at the beginning anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back